1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honesty on trapline

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wingmaster78, Jul 4, 2013.

1. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Recently, at a State Youth shoot, the squad I was coaching had their trap stuck. It was throwing the same target over and over. I noticed it in the first 5 targets thrown. It threw 125 identical targets in a row.

I told the head coach what was happening and he immediately sought a trap mechanic. The mechanic fixed the problem as soon as the round was over.

I did not stop my squad when I noticed the trap was stuck because it was obvious the kids had not picked up on it. If they were to have noticed, I would have stopped them immediately. I was marking more "lost" targets than I would have if they had noticed.

My question. Would you, as a coach or a shooter, keep your mouth shut and keep them or yourself shooting, or would you stop and get the machine fixed?

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

We have all seen this happen. Get the machine fixed as soon as you notice.

Shawn

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Shawn said. Harv

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have seen this many times and like you noted, they shoot better when it moves, for some reason.

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, either the scorer or one of the shooters is the only one that can call this, or anything else out. A bystander may not call out anything wrong such as this or a Hit target that is called Lost.

I am sure as a coach, they would accept you tellng the scorer to set the trap on angles...it would be teaching the kids what to look for, and how to react to something like this...They are in the learning stages and don't know, or see some of these things.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Soon as recognized.

7. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Not exactly the same situation, but my kid was shooting doubles (other shooters on the line were adults), and a "change" was not called. So, only 4 stations were shot, but every shooter got 50 pair. None of the shooters noticed, all being "in the zone". I noticed, but as an observer, I said nothing. My son walked off the line, and knew something was "off".....I told him what had happened.

He went to the shoot officials, and the determination was made that all had to re-shoot the "missing" station. All shooters were rounded up, and re-shot (three improved their scores, the others broke even).

I think that the squad should have noticed it; as an observer, you have no standing, unless, as a coach, you have an official role.

You say it was a "youth shoot" - were there any "special" rules involved?

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule Book Section VII, A, 7:

"7. It is the duty of the referee/scorer to see that the shooters change posts at the proper time; however, any targets shot after failure to move at the proper time shall be scored."

The Rule Book, you're allowed to read it.

9. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

At my second Grand as a field supervisor in Vandalia I had a squad shoot their entire first subevent with the trap locked in the center hole. They told me about it AFTER shooting all 25 targets. I called the trap setting committee to fix this trap and checked the rest of my two banks. Three traps out of eight were locked in the center hole.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is management allowed to make up their own set of rules? HMB

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

V10: That did not answer the situation.

I have had this happen when I was shooting and immeaditly stopped shooting and had the scorer call a trap mechanic and fix the situation.

They had forgotten to switch the Pat Trap to Oscillate when they set the targets.

But I was a shooter.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dr L., V10 provided the proper answer to "MisterHappy's" comment that immediately proceeded. So, yes he did give the proper answer.

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

To join in w/ everyone regarding the OP - immediately after you notice it.

To go off on a tangent: V10, I have always wondered what the thinking was behind that rule you quoted. It's just not what I would have expected most shooters to think was the way to solve the situation. Do you have any idea why it is that way?

Also, I can see a lot of confusion between that rule and the following rule about inadvertantly skipped posts and a requirement to shoot 5/10 targets at each post.

I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the application of those two rules.

14. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Happens to us many times, we always call it out for correct after 5 "lucky straights" in a row occur. In my view what is the point of letting it go, what is it we are trying to teach again? In our youth program I often score at events. One squad of very good shooters corrects my Loss call often with "I saw a chip" and others on the line agree they saw it too. After a while it is obvious they are coached to lie and always agree with seeing a chip. Again what are we trying to teach the kids?

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Its always your call... if you didn't see a chip, stand by your call/count...

Jay

16. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Last week at the IL SCTP State sporting clays, I thought I saw a chip and the kid in the box told me "no, it was the wad". I felt pretty good concidering it was my son. I guess I'm coaching him wrong.

Todd / Illinois

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

All I know is that those rules pre-date my participation in this sport.

So, someone who was around back then will have to comment on the "whys and wherefores."

Neil might have an idea of why their phrasing hasn't been changed over the years.

18. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

Get it fixed as soon as you or anyone else noticed.

Search tags for this page

keeping own score on trapline