1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Ridgeline ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Straight99, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I'm looking to buy a new pickup truck. I don't much hauling of anything but would like better gas milage. Most of the time will be on long trips. Is it confortable? How are the seats? Anyone have any opinions? Thank You

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I don't think it will ever be considered a truck even when it grows up...an extra flat of shells might have you dragging the bumper if you already have a basketball in there...and they eat just as much gas as the big trucks with real V8s

3. tomc66

tomc66 Member

Buy an American truck.

4. warren

warren Member

I agree, I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck that gets 19 mpg on the highway and it will handle anything you can put in it. The best vehicle I've ever owned including a couple of Cadillacs.

warren

5. isuremissalot

isuremissalot TS Member

I have owned one for 18 months, no problems whatsoever. Rides greats, drives great, etc. It average around 17-18mpg in mixed driving now (30,000 miles). I have gotten over 19 a few times on longer trips. Honda builds them tight it took 10,000 miles before the mileage started to improve from the 15-16 range. We love the in bed trunk you would have thought someone would have come up with that idea long ago. My wife really likes the all wheel drive, living in SD we get plenty of snow. With a 5000lb tow rating I was a little concerned about towing a car trailer but I towed a car 180 miles over slightly rolling county side without problems (total weight was probably around 5200-5400lbs). As for buying america those same people probably have browning shotguns in closest and the last time I looked mosted weren't made in the usa. One last thing the fabric material the seats are made out of tend to get a little fuzzy where you slide in and out, look at a couple of used one and you will see what I mean. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. Randy

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have purchased a brand new truck every year since 1976. All of them have been of the big 3 brands until the last one and it is a Toyota Tundra. After buying the Tundra I finally realized what a pile of junk the American trucks are. I hate to say it but they don't compare in any way. I don't see myself going back to the flop 3 anytime soon.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Please buy an American truck, a real truck. That thing is the illegitimate child of the El Camino sans astro turf.

8. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

My 07 ridgeline now has 74000 mi. gets 20-21 short trips 22-23 on Istate

15-18 pulling camper wife loves it, Installed K&N and Flowmaster runs strong

for a V/6, Will not go back to GM

jpark

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If I was to drive a "thing' with a V-6...it better get at least 27-28mpg..my moms Buick LeSabre Limited gets 31 and runs in total smoothness and silence...I know too many people with these truck wannabes and know not a one could break 20mpg if it fell out of a tree with the motor shut off..16.5-17.5 is the best I've heard from reliable sources...I'll take a 300+ Hp american V8 thanks that can pull 6500-7500lbs in any American 1/2ton

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They are cute........

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hey Calvin, Why don't the American trucks get that kind of gas mileage? Not trying to be negative, just want to know why. One of my buddies Impala gets 32+ on the highway. Don't see why the average pick up truck can't do the same for the average guy or small business.

Now if you really need 4 wheel drive or a ton of pulling power, why can't Government Motors and the rest, including the imports get that 32+ miles per gallon?

I say, if you don't really need a truck why drive one?

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Central Ohio is Honda country,

However, the Ridgeline is the least popular of the lineup.

Most people I have talked with felt price was in excess for what you get.

Most opted for one of the big three.

If your towing better buy American.

Regards....Gerald

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

My buddy who had many trucks in a row, bought a Ridgeline 2 years ago, but will go back to a Silverado soon. He said there is NO comparison. PLUS we should all be buying american anyhow.

14. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Barry--. Its a bullshit fad for 75% of the people buy trucks. My neighbor has put something in the bed of his fancy truck twice in the last 5 years! And didn't need to then!
    Its really stupid when the people who don't need one at all could be getting 30 mpg instead of 16!

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Yes you must buy american. Like perazzi,beretta, kriegoff,guerini. Lol
    LOok at the hoNda pilot too!

16. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I have a Ridgeline that I bought new in June of 2007. The truck now has 42,000 miles on it. This is a niche truck and should not be considered in the same vein as a Ford or Chevy pickup. They are different trucks for different purposes. If you do light hauling and want a truck that is pretty good in snow but not an off road vehicle the Ridgeline is perfect. They ride like a car, are very well built and Honda service, at least in my area, is very good. I have driven mine in town and on long trips with in-town mileage around 18/19 mpg. and highway around 21/22. The best I have gotten has been 22.8. I get my best mileage with Shell gas with no ethanol. According to Edmunds they hold their resale value very well compared to domestic pickups.

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ridgeline definition; A minivan with half a roof.

ss

18. bill2

bill2 Member

Stright, Eighty six thousand mile on my 06. Have done nothing but service. Tires still have a couple of thousand mile remaining.20 mile to the gallon every day. Ride all day and not have back pain. Better than a four wheel drive tractor on snow and ice. Great "hiddie" hole in bed holds eight flats of shells, two guns in a starlite case and clothes for a week. Plenty more room if you fold up the back seat. Love the swing open or drop tailgate. Sound system sounds like your in a concert. Not to many around so everybody in a small towns knows you. That could be good or bad. Don't like bed style for the camper shell but, a enclosed trailer fixes that problem (and has additional uses). Have to leave the four wheeler set on dropped tail gate. I don't like that however, trailer works. Defroster has to use A.C. Ain't figured that out yet? It is not good. Some U.S. the same.
    Would not buy extended maintenence contract again.
    Still keep a full size around. Bill2

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

bill2 - Almost all modern vehicles with air conditioning use it for the defrost setting. Frost is moisture and air conditioned air is dry - get it?

20. gotbass

gotbass Member

I also have an 06 and it is comfortable for the long trip and tows my 20 ft bass boat fine at least as far as I need to go. I did like my 01 Cummins too so depends on what you need at the time. The Honda is great for going out to the gun club and has all the creature comforts. Lots easier to get little old ladies into than the Dodge. Damn near had to hit my 90 year old mom with a cattle prod to get her in the Dodge. The big 3 should all be using the two way tailgate, sweet.