1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda PM

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipdaddy, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Off the trapshooting subject, but is this a scam regarding Honda maintenance? Brake fluid flush @ $109.00 and Power steering fluid Flush $95.00. The Honda folks want to do a coolent flush too but that I understand. My wife's car has 80,000 miles recorded, some of these things seems like a real scam. Not to mention the engine light that indicates it needs a EGR valve that costs $406.00, probably a much inflated price and could be bought at NAPA, I'm a good parts changer but maybe this is something the Honda folks need to work on. I have leased my own rig for the last six years but prior to that I drove the same Suburban for 17 years and I never had a brake fluid flush or a power steering fluid flush and it went 250,000 miles before I sold it. Any ideas about this?? Thanks Jerry

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

chipdaddy,

Royce hit it on the ABS and the brake fluid change. Moisture contaminates the fluid over time and will cause corrosion in the piston bores of the calipers. This will cause the caliper to start sticking and you'll have bigger brake problems then.

The Honda will be more susceptible because of the smaller calipers.

The power steering fluid starts to loose its properties after time and needs to be replaced.

You can probably find a local shop to do this cheaper than the dealer.

Imports are a lot more fickle about PM than their domestic counterparts.

ss

3. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Thanks for the info, I guess it's what it is. Jerry

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

chipdaddy

I worked as a Tech at a Honda and an Acura dealer years ago, so I might not be that up to date on them, but here's the take on it. The PM schedule is what keeps a lot of these dealers open. The labor is inflated a bit and at the present labor rates, it's hard to swallow. If you are doing several of these "services" at the same time, it usually takes the tech a lot less time to complete them. The importance of proper maintenance is known, but at the dealer's rates, it's expensive. You can get the same thing done at a decent facility with lower rates. There are some specialty shops around that will do Hondas, Yotas, Pissons, etc. The brake flush is a given. The fluid deteriorates over time and should be purged. Same for the Power Steering and Coolant. You can actually do these yourself, since they are not that hard to figure out. The EGR valve needs to be investigated before you replace a costly part. Find out EXACTLY what code has been set and see if it's insufficient flow or a hard electrical failure. It can be anything and many techs see the "EGR" listed in the code and throw a part at it. Sometimes it fixes it and sometimes not. Some vehicles have issues with clogged EGR passages and they require cleaning, not a new valve. A little research and you can certainly do these things yourself. One good investment is a set of shop manuals. Sometimes there are some aftermarket books that are a dumbed down version, but the best is the "official" manuals. There are usually two and sometimes three manuals to be had. You can usually buy original equipment Honda parts online for a decent discount. As for these types of "flushes", I usually do them when the opportunity presents itself. When I do a complete brake overhaul, I do the flush and fluid change at that time. Power Steering can be done when the fluid looks a little old. Coolant will usually wear out a bit sooner. I replace hoses and belts at regular intervals and do the cooling system flush at that time. It just depends on what you are comfortable doing yourself. Just don't let the dealer try to tell you that the car will fall apart at 81,000 miles if you don't do it right away. One other thing to be careful about is anything called timing belt replacement. It is critical to have it done on some vehicles, at regular intervals. Maybe not quite as often as the dealer recommends, but they do wear out. If the water pump is driven by the same belt, you might consider replacing that at the same time, if the labor and pump is not much more. Even better if you can do it yourself.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

check the warranty. Smog eqipment has a mandated federal replacemnt warranty. Thing is i can't remember what the cut-off mileage is. IIRC, it's either 75,000 or 85,000 miles

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

If you tell me what model and year I can look up the required PM by Honda. The prices are high. Find a locla service garage and see what they cahrge. Brake fluid turns darker the longer it is used,ther are seals that break down with time and the particales are suspenede in the fluid it can prevent the ABS valves from operating correctly as the fluid is restricted. The same holds true for the PS fluid, look at the color brake fluid that is amber in color may not is fine by a test strip to determine the water content of the fluid if its to high then cahnge it. As for PS flui it's generally either clear to amber or pink to red in either case if it's bron or blakc flush and fill. Easily done on mopst cars

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have always said oil is cheaper than medal?? I usually keep my Honda's for 200K and have very good service out of them. I do maintain them more than the factory says. (Refer to 1st statement)

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's amazing what proper maintenance can do with regard to vehicle longevity. I have an almost 20 year old vehicle that has over 350,000 hard miles on it. Original engine and transmission. Domestic manufacturer whose brand seems to have been recently "decontented". A little "quality" time every month or two and it goes a long way to prevent trouble. That does not mean something "Bad" can't happen, but many issues are preventable with proper maintenance.