1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda or Toro Push Lawnmowers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I currently own a 20 YO Lawnboy 2 cycle 21" lawnmower that has an aluminum deck. The mower runs great but my wonderful wife (who actually enjoys mowing) is tired to of 2 cycle oil stink after mowing. I realize that it is kind of late in the season to be looking at lawnmower purchases but what are your experiences with Honda (specifically model HRX217VKA) or Toro Super Bagger. The Honda has the Nexite plastic deck while the Toro has an aluminum deck (like my Lawnboy). The Nexite deck does come w/a limited lifetime guarantee but I kind of prefer the aluminum deck. The Honda has a GCV190 engine while the Toro has a Honda 160, prefer the bigger engine. Anyway I torn btwn the two and looking for owners experiences. Thanks in advance...Randy Price

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd rather have a metal deck over a plastic deck, period.<br>
    <br>
    And I have a Honda engine on my pressure washer. Vastly superior to the old B&S. Fires right up every time, runs great, no two stroke stench, no adding oil to the mixture.<br>

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a small mowing business and use a Scag commercial mower for 99% of the grass my son or I cut but we have a 21" residential Honda walk-behind for small areas or lawns enclosed in fences with gates that the Scag won't fit through. I bought it new in 2002 and don't know the model number offhand but it's the top-of-the-line job with hydrostatic drive. The day I brought it home, I added oil to the crankcase, fuel to the tank, pulled the rope and it started. I've never had to pull it more than twice, even after it spends the winter "outdoors" in an enclosed trailer. The original spark plug is still in it - it gets fresh oil every fall and a new air filter and sharpened blades twice a season.

The engine runs so smoothly and quietly that when I bought a new Scag in 2003, I specified Honda power and paid $800 over a 25-hp Kohler (which my 1977 Scag had) or a 23-hp Kawasaki for a 24-hp Honda V-twin. Now, almost every piece of power equipment we own is Honda-powered - they run that well.

I like the plastic deck. Wet grass clippings don't seem to stick to it like they did to the decks of the Toro and John Deere walk-behinds I had before.

Ironically, I bought a new Personal Pace Toro before the Honda because the previous walk-behind I liked best was a Toro. I did not care for the way the Personal Pace business worked and returned it after using it for one day. And John Deeres have Kawasaki engines - the one I had hated to start, was noisy and ran rough. Accordingly, I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda mower.

Ed

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Make sure it has a honda on it. But beware! Honda now has a cheaper model motor with out a cast iron sleave in the cylinder. Look up the model number. Hope this helps, Todd

6. BPSR

BPSR Member

Trapshooter is correct, Honda engines on most lower end mowers anymore are the GCV engine. The GXV is the commercial grade engine with the cast iron cylinder liner. My Honda dealer told me that the new motors are "throw aways", in other words non rebuildable. I guess though if you get 5 or 6 years or more it isn't a bad way to go. I believe the cheapest Honda you can get with the GXV design is around $1100 msrp. I've got three Hondas with the GXV engine and plastic (zenoy)decks, my orginal one lasted 7 yrs. before a rod started knocking in it. The other two are of the same vintage and still run great. Personally though I don't think I would buy another Honda without the commercial grade engine on it. I've had a couple of friends who have bought newer Hondas with the cheaper engine, one lasted a 1 and a half the other lasted almost three seasons before they both turned to junk.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, even Chevrolet likes the Honda's... just ask Huey Long!!

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a Briggs and Stratin self propelled mower, than a push Honda (or any other) anyday.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have used a Honda Harmony mulcher push mower for about 10 years with zero problems. I change the oil twice a year and put in a new spark plug and air filter every spring. The mower cuts great and has been very dependable. It has a plastic deck which seems to accumulate wet grass so that I have to scrape the deck whenever I cut grass that is either slightly wet or is a very lush growth. When the grass is not too high and is dry, the Honda mulcher cuts like a dream.

I also have a 1985 Snapper push mower with a Wisconsin Robin 2 stroke engine. I paid an extra $100 for the Wisconsin Robin engine over a 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton. The Snapper has been used hard and it works like a dream. It has the power to cut tall grass and the grass does not stick to its metal deck. It gets a new spark plug and air filter every spring. I have had it sharpened every two or three years and had to replace the control cable.

For all my 2 stroke engines, I use Mercury Quicksilver outboard oil. I have never had a carb problem.

Ed Ward

10. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I had a Honda commercial model 216 Hydro. That thing was as reliable as they came. The only reason I sold it was because we moved to a condo. Good engines even better mowers, but they are not cheap...

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

John Deere self propelled rear bagger with a Kawasaki engine....fabulous mower...i've had it for 15 years with just routine maintainance...

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My dad still uses an 18" Lawnboy for trimming ditches. It'll still cut weeds as high as your head. He bought it new in 1966. One ring job and cleaned the ports about a thousand times. No more than 20 sparkplugs . Probably replaced more blades than plugs.

13. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Randy

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm a firm believer that ANYTHING Honda makes is the absolute best. Whenever I get something that Honda produced to work on, if it's not just maintenance, then it's ALWAYS caused by abuse/neglect. Here is a 5hp 4 stroke Honda outboard that I got off one of the locals for $100. He overheated it 5 years ago and set it in his back yard uncovered with the hood off for those 5 years. I put a new impellar and head gasket on and it started 1st pull and did so every time!

The things they make are build with many extra margins of toughness and they take great efforts to make every system fool proof.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2747.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2746.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2745.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Tron for your reply. I too am very impressed with Honda's quality. The plastic deck was really the only thing that concerned me with this mower. I wanted the Honda motor, although one person said that the newer GCV motors weren't as good as the older ones???? My current Lawn Boy is 20+ years old and it just keeps going. If not for the "oil stench" smell after mowing I would keep it. My parents had their LB for 30+ years. They are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going & going. Regards, Randy

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, the old Lawn Boys were great mowers and were made by OMC (producers of Johnson/Evinrude outboards). Very simple, light and easy starters. I've always been a big OMC fan as well....but those Lawn Boys sure are stinky.

17. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Have you tried using synthetic mix oil to reduce smoke/smell factor?

PG

18. FIB

FIB Member

No Trapperpg, I haven't tried anything other than the "official" Lawn Boy 2 cycle oil w/fuel stabilizer. The dealer told me when I bought the mower to always use the genuine stuff and I wouldn't have any problems. He was right.

19. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

I'll throw in my $.02. I've had a Honda mower for about 6 years. Works great now and has the plastic housing. It wasn't cheap - $800. I guess for small engines I'm an abuser not a maintainer. The Honda didn't like the neglect. I'd change the oil when I remembered and shake out the air filter but nothing else. After 5 years it was so low on power and the control cables had stretched so much they could not be adjusted to compensate, I took it into the Honda dealer for a yearly maintenance and cable replacement. It cost nearly $300 but it's now working great.

By the way I also have a Toro snowblower that is also 6 years old and it works great - starts on the first or second pull. It's 2 cycle so I've done nothing to it.

20. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I had a Honda for many years. Good mower. When the time came to replace it, I just didn't want to spend the money so I bought a Toro 22" with the personal pace system for less than half the money at Home Depot. Have not had a single regret and after 7 years it still starts on the first pull.

I could be happy with either, both great machines. So I give the edge to the much lower price tag on the Toro.

FWIW

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.