1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Odessey Wiring Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I would like to ask this vast fountain of all types of knowledge a question about a wiring problem that has developed in my 2002 Odyssey,

It seems that I now have a pair of brake lights that will work just fine UNTIL you turn on yje tail lights. With the tail lights on yje right side brake light will work just fine BUT the left side brake light will go out. Turn off the tail lights and the brake lights work on both sides. The turn signals and 4-ways work fine but they are wired to separate bubs and are not tied in to the brake light system. The tail lights and the brake lights all have normal brightness when they are working so I think that the ground circuit is okay on all bulbs.

The dashboard warning light used to indicate a burned out brake light is lit full time. This is a separate light from the Parking Brake/Brake failure warning light. This is the small light on the bottom of the dash panel. The top middle brake light works normally.

I did replace a burned out left side tail light a few days ago. The warning light did indicate a problem which turned out to be the left side bulb. After this bulb was replaced everything, including the warning light, worked just like it should.

Maybe related and maybe not is that the rear window wiper started wiping slowly a couple of days ago but now it will not run at all. The wasker pump for the rear does still work.

Anyone have a problem like this or at least a wiring diagram for this 2002 Odyssey so I can try to figure out what may be in common.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

almost all electrical issues are due to poor ground and or poor connections.
    Not to mention the crappy bulbs they are makeing to day. Good to check if the correct bulb was installed also. Many different bulbs can be jammed into the sockets. Especially the 3157,4157 style bubs

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Update:
    Now the brake lights are working entirely right! The tail lights are working right also. The dashboard warning light is also out now (like it should be).

What did I do? Not a thing! Just sitting in the driveway. Thursday, parked with problem. Friday lights working correctly and continuing to work Saturday all day. Rough roads did not have the problem reoccur.

Got me puzzled what caused the problem or why the problem corrected itself.

]

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

pyrdek,
    Might have been a moisture issue and caused a back feed?????.

Sandy Holehouse

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Bet its a ground/connector problem. it will be back.....Been there to many times.

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have noticed some bulbs now use a diamond shape solder surface for the connections rather than the old or normal type which was round. I have seen these diamond shape cause problems.

Removed the bulb the customer had put in which was diamond shaped and replaced with same type and number bulb but with the round solder and all was OK. Ray

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is a ground issue and will return

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ground issue also mmmmmoooodddduuuulllleesssss(control modules) Fancy computer relays and such......ohhh the joy

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Update 2: So far no return of the problem. this is with both dry roads and weather and very sloppy roads and blowing snow. Put on maybe 500-600 miles without the problem showing up again. Temperature has been cold but it was also cold when the problem was present. It has not warmed up appreciably since then but the prediction for this weekend could have the temps up to 50 F dg. I will have to see if that makes any difference.

Where is the control module for this brake light monitoring system located? I will check the connections and mounting if I know where to look. Hope it is not part of the main controller. I had to replace one of those on a Dodge I had once. That car was a disaster from the factory. Loose connections all over the place and finally a new module. I was quite happy to say good bye to that one!