1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HONDA GENERATORS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DIXIE SPECIAL 25, Jun 9, 2013.

1. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I have been looking at the Honda 3000 watt generators. The EU3000IS model. I just want to run my sump pump and fridge during a power outage. Its the inverter style so it doesnt run at 3600 rpm all the time like a regular style. Its ramps up and down according to the load. What's the pros and cons from an inverter style to a normal style? I also looked at propane models but not sure if I want to go that route. Comments please. Thx Bernie

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Bernie, the pump is no problem; however since you mentioned the word inverter-be very careful-if the inverter doesn't put out a sine wave it could burn out the electronics in your fridge. Lots of inverters put out a square wave or a modified sine wave.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Hondas are safe . Others may not be.

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bernie,

I've had a Honda for about 15 years. 3000W converted to propane when new. Runs for about 3 days on 2 40lb tanks. The propane is nice because you have no long storage issues and when you shut down, there is no residual gasoline in the carbs to get old and gummy either. Oil stays super clean too as there is no sulphuric acid residue from propane ignition.

Bob Schultz

5. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

you will be pleased with it

6. dward

dward Member

If it's a generator you just want to leave at your home and use during an outage the Honda 3000 inverter would work fine. As for quality of power it doesn't get much cleaner than power from a Honda inverter generator.

I have a Honda 2000 inverter that I purchased to take out elk hunting and it works great running a large chest freezer and a smaller refrigerator along with occasional use of a microwave in our camper. The thing to remember about a freezer or refrigerator is that they take about 16 amps to start the compressor, but once running they only draw about an amp and a half.

We originally had a standard generator that would consume about 5 gallons of gas per day to keep our gear running.......with the 2000 inverter we only use about 1 gallon per day to get the same service. A standard generator has to keep spinning at 60hz or usually about 3600 rpms to generate 120v ac power. The inverter generates dc power which is inverted to ac......this allows the generate to idle way down when there isn't a load and thus conserve a lot of fuel. So if you need a lot of power a lot of the time (like a construction site) get at standard generator. If you want to power freezers and refrigerators and burn as little fuel as possible get an inverter.

If you want a very portable generator that will probably satisfy your needs I think the 2000 would suffice. If you want something more permanent with more than you'll probably need get the 3000. The 3000 weighs 134lbs and the 2000 weighs 47lbs. And for about the same price as a 3000 you can get two 2000s and hook them together and get 4000 watts. So if you bought one 2000 and it wasn't enough there is a way to still make it work.

Personally I'd go the 2000 route - but either way I think they are the BEST generator made!! And they are also the quietest generator I've run into.

Big Dan

7. Marcf

Marcf TS Member

Bought the same one for the same reason, ironically didn't need it during Sandy as we were the only block with electric for the duration...but I was ready with the Honda

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have the 3000. If I had it to do over I would have the two 2000's Just for the reason that Big Dan said. Lighter.

You on the other hand are going to leave it in the house. Still, the extra power is a plus. Just a bit more money.

Rick in MT

9. THALL

THALL Member

Is there a way to connect three Honda EU2000i's together to get 50 amp service? I have the adapter to connect two of the Honda EU 2000i's together to get 30 amp service. Very pleased with these generators. Tim Hall

10. dward

dward Member

Tim - It's my understanding that you can as these EU generators are designed to sync up and share loads evenly. The issue with the 50 versus 30 amp feed is the 50 amp plugs require two hot leads where the 30 amp plugs only require one. I've read where guys have set up their own load sharing pigtails using standard 110v male plugs and the units worked together well. Problem with this setup is if you unplug one side of the pigtail you have an exposed hot plug. Honda uses the shielded pigtails for safety reasons. It is also required that the units be plugged in to their parallel or sharing setup before you start them up. I'm guessing the parallel kit you have requires you to do this already.

I think if you had the banana type shielded plugs and wired three of them to a common bus....and then wired the bus to both leads in a 50 amp plug it would allow the generators to share the load evenly. 50 amp RV services are wired up so that one hot lead services half of the unit and the other lead services the other half.

If you google up "3 parallel eu2000i" there are some forums where guys have done this..........although I'm certain Honda doesn't endorse it, and my disclaimer is that I'm an engineer but not electrical :<(

Big Dan

11. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Thanks all, I have decided to go with a pair of the 2000 watt units..the 2000 watt companion unit has the 30 amp receptacle and can parallel with standard 2000 watt unit.

Search tags for this page

forums honda generator

will the eu3000is run my sump pump