1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Oil must die!

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I saw a report last night that featured a guy that built a Mustang with 400 horse power, has the old time Carbuerator and gets a 100 miles to the gallon. Fat chance big oil companies will ever let it hit the market.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Still takes a bunch of energy to generate the hydrogen.

And until we have all our power from nuclear, wind, solar, or other non fossil fueled source, we'll still be generating greenhouse gases to make cars "go."

I don't see hydrogen fueled cars as a reasonable alternative.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I too, saw the guy with the Mustang. He said he's keeping it secret until his patents are completed and after he enters his project into some kind of race, with a chance to win $10 mil. Sounds like a lot of electronics.

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Right now it does take a lot of energy to creat the hydrogen, but two new things have serious promise:

1) Those smart guys at the best University in the world (read: Purdue) have almost figured out a way to produce mass quantities of hydrogen on site of the re-fueling station. This cuts the whole transportation issue out and if everything scales up correclty, will make producing hydrogen VERY cheep. Basically it is a big tank underground that is lined with a specific metal or alloy (I don't remember what it was). You fill the tank up with H20 and a small electrical charge is passed over the metal/alloy. When this occurs, the hydrogen cleaves from the oxygen and the it becomes a matter of collecting the hydrogen, which would not be that difficult, since H is lighter than O. Last I heard, they were about 2-3 years away from perfecting this.

2) Honda (I believe) was working on a re-fueling station for the home (last I saw, it looked like a fairly large non-commerical generator) that would produce the H which then can be used for the car and other things around the house. It would have to use electricy to do this, but the cost savings (at least what they presented on Modern Marvels) would be almost 95%, including the $$ spent on the electricity. I _believe_ it would use the same tech as what Purdue is doing, just on a smaller scale.

I will nose around the internet to see if I can find any info on this. H is the way to so, since H is so readily available.

John

6. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

ahhh.. it was good ol' aluminum...

7. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

The "less scientific" page -- I was wrong about costs of doing this form right now -- it would have to use recycled alumina to make it more cost effective -- but, the pull on fossil fuels would less...