1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Accord

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robb, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

So this is on topic, this car will go to shoots.

Any comments on Honda's Variable Cylinder Management technology? I think all V6's come with this. Seems like alot going on to me. I'd rather have an old fashioned V6. Looks like a great car but concerned about shutting down cylinders. What do you think?

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

The technology is old. I think that it was Cadillac that started it back in the 50's or 60's. The old Pharts on here will know better than I. Some GM models have had it for a few years now. I think that their system is reliable.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Cadillac's 1981 system, called Variable Displacement, was a victim of the state of automotive electronics of that era. Functional, it was; reliable, it wasn't. It died a quick death but today's systems are much, much better.

Ed

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

4-6-8 is exactly right and Cadillac and GM have survied dispite the fact that they introduced that "technology". I can only guess that Honda has it right and unlike GM it will work and work well

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I test drove the v6 Accord (before buying my Madza 6 sedan) and it did not have much more power than their 4 cyl. The mpg drops down to mid 20's with the v6...try the 4 as it moves well.

6. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks guys. Looked at the new Accord this morning and was very impressed. Had one in the past and it was good. New model has more room and more goodies. Anyone driving a new V6 Accord?

7. Robb

Robb Member

I wondered about that Jim. Have not driven either but intend to drive both.

8. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

All of the new Chrysler 300's with 5.7 Hemi's have variable cylinder technology and works quite well.

9. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

mia weren't you worried about all that money going to those nasty japs. just kidding i just bought a rav4 3 weeks ago and the wife drives a camry.jackmitch.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

50's,,,,, 60's,,,, 80's close enough! lol!

11. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks MIA, that's what I wanted to know. How does it do in the snow?

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The problem with the early style/designed variable displacement engines was that they didn't move the "dead" cylinders around. They had to do this because of the lack of safisticated electronics and to control engine vibration/harmonics.

The new style, which GM reintroduced a few years back, moved the dead cylinders around to control vibratins. Since the newer ECM's have the capability to shut down the injectors as well as the ignition they were able to save on fuel as well. The reintroduction of this type of engine management was originally a "fail-safe" to help get the car home incase of severe coolant loss/cooling system failure.

Since the Japanese are the worlds greatest copy-cats, I'm sure that there system is just as good.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.