1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda 3.0L V6

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm considering purchasing a 07 Honda Accord 4 dr. SE with the 3.0L V6. Does anyone have any experience with this engine? Thanks in advance, Randy

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

any kind of service records are gold. 2 things. First if the oil changes were done with Honda oil. Second. If it is close or has more than 100,000- 120,000 miles did it have the timing belt, water pump and idler changed. This is about $400 both parts and labor. The only repeat issue is EGR valves go bad and they run rough. Birdtracker

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I had a 2003 Accord with the 3.0 liter V6. Nice car, great engine, no problems. I could get over 30 mpg on the highway.

Birdtracker gave good advice, but if you have the service done at a Honda dealer, I can guarantee it'll cost a lot more than $400, if they're anything like Capitol Honda in Lansing, Michigan.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You simply can not beat Honda. Anything that has the "Honda" name on it is fantastic. I've always had a great deal of respect for their products.

At the dealer that I worked at, we just loved taking them in on trade. We could resell it in no time flat for top dollar and never see it again for any sort of problems. In fact, a Honda or Toyota that came in on trade with 100,000 miles on it was less problematic than a brand new Ford. I hate to say it, but it's true. No matter how brand loyal you are, you have to be stupid not to see how great their quality is.

The domestics are getting better though.

JMHO!!

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Honda never made a bad motor. Timing chain will be your only expense down the road unless you neglect it

7. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the responses.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I own a salvage yard and have yet to have a good honda motor I didn't sell?
    Go figure! Bill

9. birdtracker

Bill: thats due to people running the timing belt till it breaks. Its cheaper to put an engine in it. Birdtracker

10. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

I had a 2000 Accord with the V-6. Had over 100,000 miles when it was totalled because of a bad case of STUPID on my part. Now have the V-6 powered Acura TL with just over 99,000 on it. Not a bit of trouble with either.
    Dave

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I've got two of them, FWIW. Never any engine trouble of any kind. But like MTA Tom says, Honda dealers will gouge the hell out of you on service.

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

My wifes car is a 2005 Saturn Vue which I believe has the 6 cyl. Honda Motor & Drive-train, haven't had one problem except today I had to buy a new battery,go figure. Great motor. Glenn

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

The V6 is a very good engine. Honda's 4 cylinder V-Tech is even better. john

14. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks again guys for all the responses. When does Honda recommend that the timing chain be replaced?

15. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

IIRC, at 105,000 miles

16. johnboy

johnboy Member

My wife and daughter have vechicles with the V6 and both over 100K. Best car cars I have ever owned. Both drive like the day we bought them. I had the timing belt, water pump and transmission fluid replaced around 100k on both vehicles at a dealership and it was high but came with a 1 year 12000 mile warranty. I figured it was cheaper in the long run than having a local mess something up and not backing the work. I replaced a belt and water pump on a American made van several years ago but did not have time nor the inclination to do both vehicles. The Honda is the best engineered vehicle I have ever driven, I wish we could build American cars like that!

17. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Make sure you do NOT get any Honda with the "3.5 SOHC 24-valve i-VTEC 6 cyl. 271 HP engine with VCM". We bought our first Accord in 1990 and have traded every three years since so I have extensive experience with the Accords but always with the 4-cylinder. We splurged and traded for a 2009 Accord with the fore-mentioned 6-cylinder engine and it was the biggest mistake I could have made.

This car is a miserable gas-hog compared to the 4-cylinder Accords we had in the past. For one stretch last winter the car averaged 13.9 MPG for four successive fill-ups, all in-town driving in a city of 45,000. Then on the next two successive fill-ups it averaged 14.2 mpg, same conditions. Dealer said that they could find nothing wrong. Following that we took a trip to Atlanta, 354 miles each way. MPG-22.7. This was a 6-hour trip at 65-75 MPH with cruise control on at all times. On I-85, North Carolina is 70 MPH, South Carolina is 65 MPH, Georgia is 75 MPH. We just returned on Monday from making the same trip to spend the holidays again with my son and his family in Atlanta. Same route, same conditions, mileage 24.1 average for the round trip of 708 miles. The car, bought brand new on 6/12/2009, now has 12,100 miles on it.

I still have the window sticker that boldly says "HIGHWAY MPG 29" then in samll letters says "24 -34 mpg" They are dead right on the 24 and anyone who buys one had better expect 24 to be about the best it will get. The only way this car will ever get 34 miles per gallon is to place it on the space shuttle and shove it overboard with the engine not running when the shuttle gets 35 miles up.

I did notice, unfortunately not until after I bought it, that the engine and transmission were both built in the US. All of our previous Accords had engines and transmissions made in Japan.

I will be getting rid of this gas-guzzling turkey in 2012 and you better believe that it won't be replaced by any Honda product.

18. birdtracker

There is no good vehicles made after late 2007 early 2008. None. Yes I said none. Not worth the money. Crap materials. Crap Crap Crap. So I don't sugar coat it for you. They are all CRAP. Be advised. Thats why they are not selling. O.K I am fine now. Birdtracker

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't think Ford has a problem selling vehicles, I bought my wife a 2011 Focus in early Oct. I asked the salesman how business was and he said they sold 91 vehicles in Sept. and I live in a rural area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.