1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Homeowner arrested for using handgun outside

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21/new-hampshire-man-faces-felony-charge-after-firing-gun-into-ground-near-burglar/?test=latestnews

Several factors come to mind

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it to come up. Even here in Iowa Gene as you know you can't shoot your gun outside in the ground or air. When I took the CCW permit class we were told that shooting your gun in the air yelling halt will get you a ticket. The sheriff said that even they can't do that.

If you shoot someone you had better be able to prove that your life was in immediate danger. And even if you are exonerated that doesn't excuse you from a civil lawsuit. It tickles me pink to listen to some of these posters who claim they would shoot the perp without hesitation. They even try to talk the lingo. lol I'm no lawyer but all that sounds like a paycheck to me.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Why do you think policemen carry three guns. Their service gun, their back-up gun, and their drop gun.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Too bad common sense has left this planet it seems. I think he did what he thought he had to do, and no one was harmed, except for maybe a night crawler or two

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

To many fucking lawyers that a big problem here!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A burgler? ?? What happened to "I missed...."

Michigan Castle Doctrine....good reading...

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

C'mon Bruce!

8. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I had a problem with a link like this the other day. I guess a lot of these links are too long for this forum, so you have to go to tinyurl.com and shorten them. Mike

9. clyslr

clyslr Member

The more pain and suffering there is.....The more money the lawyers make. They will make sure nothing changes!

ClaySlayer(Dennis)

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Paul,
    You can't use your gun to protect your property. Taking your gun out and
    pointing it at someone is "assault." You don't even have to shoot it.

11. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So . . . . by the logic proposed here by the police and the posters if I am in my front yard and there is someone raping my wife on the lawn in front of me I am not allowed to "point" a gun at the rapist since "I am not in fear for my life." Stealing my car out of my driveway and I can't "point" a gun at the thief ? Throws gasoline on my house and is getting ready to light the match and I can't "point" my gun at the would be arsonist ?

Seems like there is something wrong here ! Guess I just don't understand the finer points of the law.

12. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Amboy, get me on your jury! You will be fine! Bruce, I like the way you say it! My kind of lingo! Tom Rhoads

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Amboy,<br>
    You can point your gun at the rapist because you are attempting to save your wife. The law allows you to protect your person, family or another person.

It does not allow you to point a gun at a guy steeling your car. Unless he is attempting to run you over. Same with pouring gas on your house. You can't protect your property with deadly force.

This will vary from state to state. You can protect your property in Texas with deadly force.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I dunno, using the gun to stop the car thief might not be such a great plan, I doubt the insurance would cover replacing the blood soaked interior. (for some reason I have a .44 carbine in a convienent location)

Wanna burn down my house, okay I'm covered and it is one way to get out from under the mortgage. Just don't mess with my bird dogs that don't really like weirdos on the property.

On a serious note, do you guys really worry about things like that happening? This is meant with respect, I live in a place where that kind of stuff is unheard of, coincidently over 80% of the households in the area have at least one firearm in them - might be a connection there.

15. torqueman

torqueman Member

Buddy of mine hit a theif with the butt of his gun in his driveway . the theif sued and won! this happen in NY My freind now lives in UTAH!

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I got arrested 20 years ago outside of my business going into work one night at 10pm for having a pistol in my back pocket.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

blkcloud, and your point is????

18. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Anyone see the Irony in what is posted on the New Hampshire Liscense Plates and this story? "Live Free or Die"

19. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

It was kind of dumb shooting into the ground, if you are justified in shooting, then you are justified in shooting the person. I hate to play devils advocate here, but, his life was not in danger, he was not being threatened with serious physical injury, the turd was climbing out of a window for gods sake, if you want to get involved, do it the right way, Now he has brought onto himself alot of expense and heart ache.

In PA, the newly passed Castle Doctrine, allows the use of "Deadly Force" anywhere you have a right to be, if you fear that your life or the life of another is in immenent danger. That means if you are walking on a sidewalk and some shitbag decides he wants to harm you and you feel your life is in danger, you can drop him like a bad habit, or beat him to death or kill him defending yourself.

The best part is that the dead turds family, or if the turd is still alive, THEY CANNOT SUE YOU!!!! They and They alone are responsible for what happens to them. It was written into the law, that no law suits could be brought.

This guy made a bad decision by firing into the ground!

Oscar

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If they charge this guy and bring this to trial, I know where the next shot should be fired.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.