1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade shotgun built from a... stapler...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VKQUMIfTHh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now it's the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Staplers.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How long until they have a meeting with this guy? You can't just make guns in your garage can you?

Why do guys got to video everything. Bad paper trail.

3. Brian in Oregon

Sure you can make your own guns. As long as they do not violate the 1934 National Firearms Act, and you do not sell them to others. At the local level, they need to be lawful under state and local laws.

4. grntitan

Would you be required to register it to be legal?

I guess i didn't know that. Learned something new. Maybe some of my inventions didn't need destroyed. Well a few anyway..... :)

5. Brian in Oregon

Only if registration is required in your state or locality. No federal registration.

This assumes you are not making an NFA weapon. Like a short barreled shotgun, shot pistol, suppressor, etc. You have to apply for a tax stamp for those with the feds BEFORE you build.

6. grntitan

I'll leave it to the pro's but it certainly opened my eyes to something i had no idea of. Guess i just always assumed it was reserved for licensed or permitted individuals. I certainly see where the "Not Sell" part comes in.

7. Brian in Oregon

The "not sell" part comes from the person not being licensed, as in no licensing fees to the government. Further, there is also no 11% Pittman-Robertson tax on these firearms. It's mainly a matter of tax revenue.

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

maybe he patented it? and sold it to Browning? Trap model coming soon.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From his accent he sounds Canadian so I don't think the ATF would be interested.

Eric

10. porky

porky TS Member

This is really interesting in that someone had the foresight to make it. I remember one time on this site, someone made a shotgun out of newspaper and flour. I think it was only good for one shot though.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I can't believe all this talk about rules and laws about a home made shotgun. What if you found such a gun in an attic? You are under no obligation that I am aware of to register it, tell anyone about it, stamp your name on it, or anything else. It's a shotgun with no serial number, just like any other of tens of thousands of other shotguns without serial numbers. Hundreds of thousands of guns were made before the Pitman Robinson Act and no one is liable for tax on them.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Now watch out. Staplers are now going to be put on the hit list for us not to own.

The dumb ass even in the basement shot off a loaded round. All he had to do to test it was use a hull with just a primer in it. I don't think he's a reloader or he would have known that. All he had to do was take out the shot, wad, and powder.

13. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

I think the bottom line here is that thee guys are out of their minds. Glad they're not in my neighborhood, I think!
    Mark

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How'd you like to be the first guy that shoots it? I like the "broom handle" test fire. I'd need a 16' broom handle.

Pretty soon you'll need an FFL to buy anything at Home Depot.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Its a Lujtic with a Glock trigger on it.

On a serious note I hope he's not in the US, even though it is completely legal to build any firearm you could buy on a yellow sheet for yourself at one point he had it in firing condition with no buttstock on it. So he built something covered by the NFA which would be a felony unless somehow he got a tax stamp for it before hand. If you ever build yourself a firearm make sure at no time is it able to fire in a configuration that would put it in the NFA category.

Lots of info about building your own here http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=9f30b44aa248277aa9015c791039e87f&

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I talked to a guy on a job one time who built a shotgun from I think it was a piece of black pipe. It blew up first shot and he was lucky it didn't take his hands or eyes. He said he hasn't touched a gun of any kind since. If these guys want to do this stuff why not start with an old barrel that at least they know was designed to hold the pressure.

17. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Rick, there is no "one per year" restriction on making a gun.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like a new apprentice for Red jacket.

19. grntitan

"I am still thinking any gun you make should have a serial number on it, beause the 1968 Act, which applies to all guns made after 1968, says under 5861(I) (Prohibited Acts) it will be unlawful to possess a firearm without a serial number."

Rick--I have been reading the rules and regs now myself and i sort of agree with you on this. The way i see it, if your gonna build one its simple enough to stamp a (1) on it and call it its serial number. A China stamping set will do that. That would be a simple solution "just in case". Things tend to get twisted and viewed differently by different people. Interpretation of the rule.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I think I could run em' with that rig.

You think Arrow would sponser me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

homemade stapler shotgun