1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

homemade shot pattern results

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JerryP, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I shot 9 patterns using one ounce of 7 1/2 homemade shot. From a rifle rest at 40yds. 34" BT99 with .040 choke. 325 pellets each shell. I counted the strikes in a 30in circle. The average of the nine was 75.04%. The worst was 64.62% and the best was 80.92%. The rest were around 72% to 78%. This is the first time I've done this and didn't know what to expect. I'm going to do it again with AA's to see how they compare. I only use it for practice but I had more confidence in it before I did the test than I do now.

2. SEC

SEC TS Member

I am anxious to see how the AA's test out. A 70% average at 40 yards does not sound too bad...but to take the math out a little further that makes a pretty big gap between pellets.

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I am assuming you mean you are going to test with factory AA shells? If you want to see how homemade shot compares shouldn't your next test be the same exact reload except with some quality factory shot. Then you can see how your homemade shot compares to the factory shot.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

870, I could do that too but I'm wondering what is the best I can do with 1oz of 7 1/2 in that gun. The AA's would give me a benchmark.

sec, yeah, there are gaps but that is what one gets with 1oz of 7 1/2's. I used that so there would be less counting.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

JerryP- It sounds as if you have repeated the first phase of my pattern testing of homemade shot vs factory shot that I did several years ago. My homemade shot patterned a little more open than factory shot. I did use it for singles and doubles and the homemade worked OK.

My big problem with testing my shot was the variability in shot size and shape among different batches of shot. Some came out pretty good, other runs were not quits as good. Homemade shot from wheel weights is harder than factory shot.

6. JLW

JLW TS Member

Jerry P- would it be possible to get 10 pieces of shot from a batch of your homemade? I am interested in what they look like and how hard they are.

I assume you are using wheel weights?-Jerald

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Do all three. That way you have 2 reloads and one factory to look at.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat, I buy this shot from a fellow shooter. It's made from wheel weights, rock hard. Many time harder than the best factory shot. Looks like you described, it varies from lot to lot. I choose some that wasn't the best for the test. I'm interested in just how round shot has to be. With the price of shot escalating more and more people are going to be shooting this stuff. I plan to do more tests in the future.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- I look forward to your test results. They could be very interesting.

Pat Ireland

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Jerry, another twist... mix factory and homemade at a 2 factory to 1 homemade ratio or 1 to 1, and see what the count is. If it is acceptable, it would cut the reloading cost lots.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I found a mistake in my calculations. I put 325 pellets in each shell instead of 350 as I originally stated. Big difference. I changed my first post.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why not duplicate the test by inserting 325 over the counter pellets or extract them from a new shell? That would be a true 1 ounce 7-1/2 test. Then you have something for comparisons sake? I doubt the results will improve much over what you got, using factory stuffins. Hap

13. joshif

joshif TS Member

I bet you'll find factory shot and shells has variances between each pattern too. Guaranteed exactly not the same as homemade but variable non the less.+or- 10% would be acceptable to me if it averages around 70% for work on the concrete in my opinion.Yes homemade probably will pattern more open than factory loads or reloaded factory shot.Your .040 choke will take care of that problem. Hey, chrono them at the same time. I have some shells from the Grand 3 dr. that chrono'd 54fps apart,10 shots! One shell would be 2 3/4 dr the next 3 dr. I broke some 96+ scores from the 27 yd line with those exact shells. That's why I bought a 20 box case(1982)and brought them home. Same lot # too. and they worked at home too. Geez, if they were all the same I might have had 100's! NOT!

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

27-m12- Patterns of equivalent loads do show great variation. That is why it takes so much work to make a reasonable comparison of the pattern produced by different loads. Shooting 20-40 pattern sheets in an afternoon and spending an evening analyzing them can become tedious.

And, a variation of 54 feat per second is well within the industry variance allowed for one load. A new box of shells labeled 3 dram equivalent and 1200 ft/sec can range between what we normally consider 2 3/4 dram (1150) and 3 1/4 dram (1290 ft/sec). This does raise many questions.

Pat Ireland

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I did chronograph the speed of each pattern. I didn't put any emphasis on that, my handloads are always better than factory loads. I've never seen anything that shows normal variations in speed causes variations in patterns.

Next test will be with Rem. STS shot same load, 17gr Red Dot

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I did the real test. Loaded 7/8 oz of homemade shot, went to the 27 yd line with a .031 choke and broke 24, 22, 23, 24. Proof enough for me.

Buz

17. joshif

joshif TS Member

I agree Pat. I chrono'd my reloads that I was using at that time and they were 12 fps apart. Avg. 1220 out of the IMR-DuPont book for 3 dr 1 1/8 oz. BUT, that speed was relative. I clocked them at 6ft same as the factory shells I talked about.Where was IMR-DuPont's screens? I don't know and they don't tell you. 12 ft would have given me a slower reading. 3 ft would have read faster if I didn't blow the chrono off the stand from the muzzle blast.Plus, JerryP,I wasn't equating speed with pattern percentages.I was just trying to get a benchmark for speeds and see what this lovable factory load's speed was. Did I mention they avg'd. 1300 fps+? I said 3 dr. because they were marked 3 dr.Maybe the factory clocked them at more than 6 ft from their chrono or the difference between mine and their chrono's or they were Hot loads!I don't know. I would have had to switch powders to match that 1300 avg. I would have had an illegal load.Maybe. Depends on who's chrono someone would use and the distance to the screen from the muzzle. The English publish fantastic velocities for their target loads and if you shoot their stuff you feel a surprising lack of punch from their 1300 fps 35 gram loads. Why? They correct their velocities to the actual muzzle and NOT to where the screens are. So, they might SAY it's a 1300 fps load when at 6 ft it MIGHT be 1250 fps or less. Just my 2 cents

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have repeated the same test using 7 1/2 Rem STS shot. 10 shots averaged 77.56%. The hi was 82.15%, lo was 72.61%. The rest ranged from 74% to 81%.
    I gained 2.52% with the Rem shot, about 8 pellets. I don't know if that is significant or not. I have made no effort to analyze the patterns, my goal was to see how many pellets I could get into the 30" circle with Homemade shot vs factory. When I read about the need for shot to be round is this the amount of difference that can be expected?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry - Your test results seem very reasonable to me. Comparing your results to mine, I would conclude that either your gun shoots a little tighter than mine or your homemade shot was a little better than mine, or both.

The irregularities of home made shot would tend to disperse the pattern, but the additional hardness of the homemade shot would tend to tighten the patters by resisting additional deformation.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.