1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade Gun solevent question???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I had saved the recipes for several of the Acetone based solevents that people listed on here and now i can't find them(imagine that). Would someone happen to have them or some that they could re-list or perhaps PM or email me with? I think one of the recipes was "Reds" or something. Any help would be much apprecited. I tried the "Search" option but i must not be smart enough to use it correctly. Thanks in advance.---Matt

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Do a search for "Ed's Red" & you should find the info that you need. I use it & it works great just a lot cheaper than store bought!

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

grntitan:

Two quick points...

1. You can find several web references for Ed's Red cleaner/solvent recipes by doing a regular google search of "eds red solvent".

2. Following is a post from ts.c's very own Joe Kuhn from way back in 2006.
    It explains how to perform a really quick google search of ts.c subjects...
    _________

Subject: Using Google to Search This Site

Email:

Date: Thu, Oct 12, 2006 - 06:03 AM ET

Website Address:

Someone else suggested this on another thread. I'm posting it here because it works so well.

Suppose you're looking for info on Duster Wads and how they perform in the cold. Go to Google and type: duster wads cold site:trapshooters.com

The last part, 'site:trapshooters.com', is the key to getting the job done.

Preface that with what you are looking for.

Google is very fast!

4. grntitan

Hey thanks guys. I was actually able to find the "Ed's Red" Recipe using the Google Search method here. I have printed the instructions and i'm on my way. Thanks again to both of you.----Matt

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Just in case ... here is a link. Bill Malcolm

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Matt, get a spray can of Electra Sol for electrical contacts. It cleans the plastic and carbon like nothing I have ever seen

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ed's Red works just as well, just a bit slower, if you don't put so much acetone in it. I use 10 oz of everything else and 2 oz of acetone to mix a quart of Red.

MK

8. new loader

new loader Member

How does this mixture affect wood finish? Does it take the varnish off? Do
    you have to be especially careful?

9. Unknown1

The acetone can be unfriendly to some finishes, but since I only use it on the barrels and they are separated from the wood at the time, for me it's a non-issue.

For cleaning actions I just a 50-50 mix of Stoddard solvent (Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid; mineral spirits works too) and ATF. That doesn't seem to harm finishes.

MK

10. grntitan

Ok guys, i got almost all ingredients but need help with one. I have the following:

ATF

Kerosene

Mineral Spirits

Acetone

The one i'm having issues in finding is the Stoddard Solvent. Can anyone help in locating this or a substitute? Is there any of these ingredients that are not needed other than the optional Lanoline? Thanks---Matt

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- You have enough to make many useful mixtures. First understand what each component does.
    ATF- Good synthetic oil. Lubricates and prevents rust.

Kerosene- Very light penetrating oil. Not a real good lubricant unless you are cutting metal, but will get into very small areas. If you need to remove a stuck screw or something rusted in place kerosene is very good.

Mineral Spirits- A good general organic solvent. Removes oil/grease.

Acetone- A very aggressive organic solvent. Cleans oil and plastic from barrels quickly but it does evaporate quickly. Will damage some finishes.

Mix acetone and kerosene and you have the best cleaner for plastic. The kerosene keeps the acetone from evaporating quickly.

Mix all four components- Excellent general gun cleaner and leaves a light coat of oil for protection.

Just figure out the job you want to do and mix the components that will do the job. Exact measurements are not needed.

Pat Ireland

12. Unknown1

As I noted above, Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid is Stoddard solvent. It's just a chemical variation of odorless mineral spirits, which is a lot easier to find. (I use Stoddard because I can get Kingsford at the garden store across from the gas station down the road; the nearest hardware store for paint products is 13 miles away.)

If you read through this article thoroughly <I>Ed's Red Bore Cleaner</I> you'll find this statement:<blockquote><I>"Acetone is included in "ER" to provide an aggressive, fast-acting solvent for caked powder residues. Because acetone is an aromatic, organic solvent, it is recommended that users leave it out if the cleaner will be used in enclosed spaces lacking forced air ventilation. The acetone in ER will evaporate, liberating volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the atmosphere unless containers are kept tightly closed when not in use. The cleaner is still effective without the acetone, but it is not as "fast-acting."</i></blockquote>As I noted in my other post, I mix a quart at a time using 10 oz. of the other 3 ingredients and 2 oz of acetone. You just have to be careful to keep the container closed when you're not actively using the stuff.

MK

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

14. grntitan

Got it now. The explaination of what each ingredient does is exactly what i wanted to know. This will allow me to mix and cater to my exact needs. I think i'm gonna make several variations in small batches and experiement. Thanks again.--Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.