1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Homemade Delrin Rib Almost Finished

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Finally took the balsa wood prototype off the kids gun and put this guy on. If I'd known it was going to be this easy, I would have made one a long time ago for myself. After researching the cost of buying one of these things ($200+), I decided to undertake the project myself. For $12 and 2 hours of my time, this is the end result. Still need to drill and tap for the front and mid beads. If I had had access to a milling machine, I could have easily done it in half the time. Best part is, he likes it so I'm happy. Before you shell out some big bucks for a delrin rib, try making one yourself first.

JK

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where did you find the Delrin material to work with? What machinery did you need?

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I got the 36" piece of 3/8" thick delrin from McMaster Carr. I made the slotted holes in it with a forstner bit in a drill press and kept over lapping the holes until they were as smooth as I could get them. Finished off the inside of the holes with sandpaper. This rib is 1 1/8" tall.

JK

4. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

WHAT DID YOU USE TO STICK IT DOWN WITH ?

LOOKS GOOD

KEVIN

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Used clear RTV silicone. I have never had anything come off once it's stuck down with that stuff.

JK

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice job. It looks professionally done and had you not told how many hours you had in it i would have guessed far more. Is that Delrin material stout enough to drill and tap without the recoil wallering out the holes? Never really messed with that stuff. Will the comb raise up close enough to get a good sight picture down that rib?

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The way my kid holds his head upright, that thing shoots right where he looks. If I shot it, I would be 3 feet low at the target. Delrin is pretty good stuff. I have threaded those little beads into balsa wood with a dab or RTV silicone on the threads and they don't budge. Delrin will be better.

JK

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

JK--Thanks for the info. Once again nice job. I'm sure it came in well under buying one and works just as well.

9. metal1

metal1 TS Member

what a great job i`m very familiar with delarin as strong as alum easier to work with very inexpensive ,what was i thinking when i just paid for a raised rib for my 101,looks like you just let the cat out if the bag,jeff

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When will you start taking orders? HMB

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I put an aluminum rib from Numrich on a plain barrel nce, used the same stuff they hold golf club heads on the shaft with. It's still flexible now, 10 years after I used it.

HM

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Don't know if I would take orders for them just yet. lol! Like I said, a milling machine is really the ticket for making one of these. Far more precise than what I used to make this one. As far as functionality, this was just the ticket but I hid a lot in the photos. I may or may not do a nice finish sanding on the inside of the holes. My buddy is already getting ready to order his delrin (I used his drill press) to stick a couple ribs on his XT Combo barrels though.

JK

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Let us know if the clear rtv holds. I have never had anything that will stick to Delrin.
    Don

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Got the front and mid beads installed and let the kid take it for a 100 target test drive on Tuesday night. The clear RTV appears to be holding as well as I had hoped it would. One thing I did do was use the factory mid bead as a support by drilling a small hole in the bottom of the delrin to accomodate it. It's not much but I am sure it is helping. I already have two other dads at the club looking at it and asking questions. If you are interested in trying to do this yourself, this is the stock number at McMaster Carr 8662K32. Click on the link and find what you need. There are other thicknesses but I opted for the 1 1/2 inch because of my minimum desired rib height of 1". Beads were from Brownell's. As it turned out, it was a good call as the piece arrived with a good crown to it. I fastened it to a piece of lumber and ran it across my table saw until the crown was gone and the finished thickness ended up right at 1 1/8 inches. Turns out that was exactly what the kid needed.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hid rib shootgun