1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

homebrew beer anyone done it

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bgy, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgy

bgy TS Member

Are you a home brewer. Any insights on equiptment end result? I am thinking of doing it with my son who like beer as a fun project

thx

brian

2. bgy

bgy TS Member

Are you a home brewer. Any insights on equiptment end result? I am thinking of doing it with my son who like beer as a fun project

thx

brian

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I did it for several years in the early 90's. It was fun ( I did it with my son like you) We got burnt out on it. There are so many micro's out there now that I elected to go back to the keg in a frig with a c02. My wife works at a beer dist so I get many different brands and it is way cheaper than I could make it

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

bought the small kit years ago, was fun. produced mixed results. No longer can fit it into everything else. Any extra time I have is spent shooting. As stated it can get a bit pricy. We has a few local brew supply places back then, no longer. Good thing about it. The small kits do not take up much space. Buy one brew up. clean it up store it away. Mine is around somewhere.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

i did it for a while. Its an interesting hobby but time consuming. I had a batch overflow on the oven and that did not go over so good. Kind of like spilling a bag of shot. I got burnt out on it too, there are so many great beers on the market now that it just wasn't worth the time it took to brew and bottle it. Some people really get into this though so if you have an interest it would be a fun project to do with your son and not that expensive to get set up in it.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Homebrewing is exactly like canning. Sterilze, sterilize. It is extremely important

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It's fun and relatively easy. The malt extract comes in cans. Hops can also be purchsed. Only downside is to store all of the bottles and to collect the bottles. Sterilize is not the term, btw. It is sanitize. Impossible to sterilize, but sanitize is important.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

It's been years since I did it, but it was fun for a while. Easier to just go buy the stuff. The hard part was washing the bottles. At the time I was using 12ounce returnable bottles. Then I started using champage bottles.

Use corn sugar, not granulated sugar.

Some of the kits I've seen lately have a small keg you can use, and then use co2 to pour the beer. Only downside there would be you would need a large refrig to hold keg or a kegerator.

I made some damn fine beer, but I also made some crap. The fun part is trying different receipes.

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Making a high quality home brew is not that difficult. Attention to detail and strict attention to sterile equipment and you will be surprised at how good your home brew turns out. The cost of the equipment won't break the bank and if you don't attach a value to your time then the out-of-pocket cost for homebrew is way cheaper than retail. kind of like reloading.

10. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Just remember that unless you have sophisticated filtering equipment (doubtful) your home brew is always going to have some sediment. It consists mostly of the spent yeast cells and is in no way harmful if you drink it. Some even claim it has health benefits. Anyhow, just remember to store your bottles upright and let the sediment go to the bottom. When ready to drink, pop the cap and pour the beer slowly into a glass so as not to disturb the sediment. Leave the last half inch in the bottle. If you accidentally stir it up the beer will look cloudy, but its still drinkable. Enjoy.

BTW, do not enter this project with the intention of saving money because the ingredients will cost more than most good beers you can buy at the corner store.

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

I did a few times several years ago, whole grain brewing, not extracts. A lot of fun. Get a copy of some of Charlie Papazian's books on brewing. He is an Engineer by trade so his work is very detailed and informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Papazian

Jh

12. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

My brother in law got me a kit for christmas last year,It turned out quite better than I figured it would ,but if you are going to do it you need to make a barrel of it or its not really worth the time...not really as much work as time involved!

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Yeah, I tried it. My friends and I agreed---the stuff tasted like sh-t. Just make mine a Shiner Bock from now on.

14. Kristin

Kristin TS Member

http://www.homebrewers.com/

I have found this to be a decent site. Starter kits, recipes, ingredient kits, etc. This is a lot of fun but previous comments are right on - Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize! I find using bleach and cold water, then rinsing everything with very hot water works pretty well. Haven't had a problem yet.

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've always winced and been overcome with the flight instinct whenever one of my buddies have approached beaming with pride while insisting I taste their latest batch of home-brewed beer (or corn squeezin's for that matter).

It seems shadow has had similar experiences and can relate.

I'll leave the brewin' and distillin' to the pros!

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.