1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home owner arrested after shooting burglars

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 548, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

Home owner arrested after shooting at vehicle fleeing what he thought was a burglary of his neighbors home.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/30/calif-homeowner-arrested-after-firing-shots-at-suspected-burglars-in/?test=latestnews

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Shooting burglars is NOT like quail hunting. Burglars are fair game when inside your home--not while fleeing.

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

"What he THOUGHT was a burglary at his NEIGHBORS home..."

He should be arrested.

4. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

VERY bad idea, like shadow says, in your house they are fair game but not going away.

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Fair game if you KNOW they are burglars. NOT when you "think" they are.

6. 548

548 Guest

Bad303 -- WRONG!

Fair game if they pose an immediate threat of great bodily harm or death to you or others. Or, if they are in your home and you can articulate with facts that shooting them preserved your life or property.

7. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

The gun banning type in this country are not gonna miss an opportunity like this. The boogey man was not threatening the neighbor. This guy is in deep kimshee.

Another got his rifle taken recently in Oregon I think for firing a warning shot at the intruder (breaking his door down) In many states there is a law that warning shots are illegal, being more dangerous than putting one in the bad guy. No one knows where a warning shot is going. You are far better off as far as the law goes to be ready, let the guy break the door down, and shoot the bad dude. Just make sure he takes at least one step INSIDE your door.

Legal gun owners many may be, but everyone needs to learn a few laws governing when and how you can use them without detriment to yourself legally.

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Yep, when seconds count the police are just minutes away!!

Quite the article, liked the names of the crooks and the charges already against them!! Out and about in the hood!!!!

We used to hang horse thieves, maybe the answer to car thieves and car jackers is to go back to that practice of rewarding them for their deeds. They didn't do anymore CRIME after that!!! Didn't cost the taxpayers to house and feed them either!

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I think 548 has it correct, but how many of us are going to ask first????

Regards.....Gerald

10. Avatar

Have to agree that with the burglars leaving the property without hurting anyone, shooting at them was not justified. Could he even be sure they had burgled the house rather than just casing the joint? A pity for him, though, as he was apparently trying to do the right thing. Just fortunate (especially for him) that he did not kill anyone in that car; then, he'd probably be charged with murder.

Following the link at the bottom of the article to read other accounts, I came across links to the above Texas story about a Fort Worth grandfather killed by the police because he was standing in his driveway holding a pistol. He had come out of his house because his neighbor's burglar alarm had gone off. From the story, it seems unlikely he was pointing the gun at the police; yet, they shot him 5 times in rapid succession, according to another neighbor who is a local councilwoman. It may not be open season on burglars, but these police apparently believe it is open season on any citizen holding a gun, and they shoot to kill...

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If the cops don't get them the IRS will!

12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Three S's...............

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

548 show up at my house posing as a burglar and I will decide when shoot and not worry one bit about your well being. Then we will see who is wrong.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"548 show up at my house posing as a burglar and I will decide when shoot and not worry one bit about your well being."

You see 303 that is the problem they weren't at his house!!!!! They were at his neighbors house!!!!!

Another cowboy with a gun.

Bob Lawless

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

ivnahoe, show up at my neighbors house some night and let me catch ya stealing stuff and see what happens. Then ya can call me just another cowboy with a gun. Or your relatives can.

GneJ

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It would really be nice if you could read. The first sentence says.

"A California man is facing possible charges after he fired shots at three burglary suspects who appeared to be casing his neighborhood."

No one caught anyone stealing anything he fired shots at people suspected of just casing the neighborhood. Now hippie that is the difference between being legally correct and those that are just Cowboys with guns.

You and those like you are exactly the reason that the second amendment fight is on again people like you and 303 are the reason that the Libs would like to make background checks needed on all gun purchases. Just because you don't know the difference between right and wrong.

Ignorance is bliss, Cowboy.

Bob Lawless

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well I agree with Ivanhoe which doesn't happen all that often.

Keyboard Commandos like Bad303 and Hippie, aren't conservatives, they are liberals- they believe rules and laws and the rule of law doesn't apply to them.

Bad303 and Hippie stand with other liberals in the Democratic party in that regard- that rules and laws do not apply to them.

The person should be prosecuted for attempted murder

Regards from Iowa

Gene

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Admittedly I don't read or watch a lot of news. But I haven't seen or read anything about this case. I am surprised the antis haven't made more hay with this.

In another case it sure is a BIG surprise that some "gun nuts" sent Obama and Bloomberg those letters laced with poison. I have seen and read plenty about this. And I believe none of it.

Darr

19. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I have my suspicions about the Obama letters, this administration is so crooked, this could well be a concoction.

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

ivanho, I well know the difference between right and wrong. And furthermore, I have no use for background checks for ANY gun purchase. So, if ya do not know what ya are talking about, (which you surely do not in this case), ya need to get some correct info before ya go blasting someone, just so it will make ya feel better.

GN7777777, you are a good one to call someone a liberal after much of the crap you have posted here lately.

In my post above I just stated that, "show up at my neighbors house some night and let me catch ya stealing stuff and see what happens." Believe me, ya don't want to find out.

What is wrong with helping out a neighbor?

GneJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.