1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home made shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikelittle, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikelittle

mikelittle TS Member

As I make some homemade shot I have come up with some new lead pipe how much hardener and which type is best to mix with it?

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If it's pipe for industrial use, it normally has 6% Antimony in it.

Ajax

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I mix wheel weights with mine.. the pipe I have is very soft.. about 50-50

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just got 250pds of old lead pipe seems real soft when I make it into ingots I plan on putting about 10 of my wheel weight ingots(1.5pds each) in my pot. I dont know how much it will change the hardness but I have made shot from just bout every type so far. Roof lead,lead seals from some sort of plumbing,wheel weight, reclaimed lead bullets(from indoor range) and now this pipe. I have yet to hear a target complain about the mixture it was smoked with. I even had 3 1ft x 1ft 3/4 in thick(60pds each) bran spanking new lead plates made them into nice shot!!!!

As long as you get some into the mix to give it some hardness you should be ok.
    I had a guy at work give me a chunk of Nickel said to mix some of that in would make it hard as heck, havent tried it yet tooooo cold to mess around.

Good luck have fun.

Jerry Lewis

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have found any lead will work as long as it has no Zinc in the mix. If you see a gold/brown/purple haze floating on the top of your melt, don't try to make shot out of it, just trash the melt or give it (sell) to a bullet maker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.