1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

home made shot to big why?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolarkim, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

Probably been asked before but why is my home made shot from #8 drippers coming out 7 1/2 or bigger? I am sure I am just doing something wrong but dont know what thanks KK

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hush yo mouth girl, load it up and shoot it ... If 7 1/2's are good 7's are even better ... Get you some Kentucky nines, 1/2-5's and 1/2-4's ... Think Handicap and Special event (Calcutta) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

lol ...

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Could be too much alloy in the ladle. You could be cooling off the alloy too much by putting the ingots into the middle of the molten alloy. Possibly a breeze or draft cooling the drippers causing them to run slow and make bigger shot. That's all I can think of right now.

Jim

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It could be several things, but the alloy you are using and temperature seem to come to mind as two possibilities. It's been awhile since I've played with shotmaking.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Have these drippers always made size 8 shot before or is this a new set up?

Ajax

6. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

new set up so I figure I just havent learned something yet thanks.
    by the way WPT, wrong plumbing and I dont have to cheat to win and yes I saw the LOL I wasnt offended but another Kim might have been.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Good point Ajax. I have a set that's marked #8 and consistantly makes larger shot.

Jim

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The reason I asked if it was a new set up, the nozzles may have been drilled for 7-1/2's instead of 8's. Do you know what size drill was used? What kind of shotmaker is it?

Ajax

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

jim hit it temp will change the size hotter the smaller cooler the bigger

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jim, I have an old set of nozzles that did the same thing. Marked 8's but drilled for 7-1/2's Plus. I pretty well check all the new nozzles if I order them.

Ajax

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ajax I'm going to weld and redrill these, One of these days.

Jim

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Kim,

I honest to God thought of that after posting and it was an honest mistake, you know what they say when you assume something ... It was not anything other than a mistake on my part and I sincerely apologize, so now I know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jim, I've done that on some of my old nozzles. I've found it easier to weld them and redrill them on one of the other sides. The welding makes that side really hard. Still having trouble with the 316 stainless nozzles. I have found a place that makes diamond drill bits in the small sizes. I'm going to call them next week, and see if they want just an arm and maybe a leg for them.

If anyone has any suggestion on hard numbered drill bits I would appreciate hearing about them. I have tried Cobalt,does not do the job.

Ajax

14. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

as far as shot size i had the same problem when using straight wheelweights,started using a 50/50 mix with indoor range lead/w.w. and shot size was perfect,taking the surface tension down with the softer lead allowed the
    shot to release from dripper sooner,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.