1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Home made shot maker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Has enenyone made a shot maker?! Did you buy nozzles or make your own ? It does not look to complicated. Thanks JOE
  2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I tried. I made my own drippers. It worked and it didnt. After screwing around and getting frustrated and burned, I bought a James Stewart machine and was able to read his shot instuction manual and have a system up and running in a day.

If your thinking about it make sure you have a supply of lead and all the safty gear needed. I no sooner bought the machine and the local scrap yard refused to sell any, I scrounged and cut deals and have around a ton now and just got a call tonight for lead for shot swap. You will become popular once you have it figured out. I even had people get rude when I wouldnt sell them any.

Jerry Lewis
  3. torqueman

torqueman Member

thanks for your advice do you remember the hole size in the drippers to make 71/2- 8 shot ? Thanks JOE
  4. EJ555

EJ555 TS Member

.024" will give 7 1/2 - 8 or so I've read on the web.
    I have several 5 gal. buckets of wheel weights I would like to trade for shot.
    LMK,
    Earl
  5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

youll want to try number bits 70-72
  6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

youll want to try number bits 70-72
  7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Here is a picture of a double dripper I drilled.. IIRC # 76 bit. drilled mine on my Bridgeport 3 axis cnc mill..

blkcloud_2009_221158.jpg
  8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The crux of the issue is not putting together or buying a shotmaker. The simple fact is that it is near impossible to get the right lead in this day and age. Current production wheel weights (and backward about 15 years) will NOT work. SO//// now you have a shotmaker.....where is your lead going to come from?
  9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Yup Lead is the problem I have run about evrything that has come to my pot. Last batch had some bad bad stuff in it OR just finally built up enough from a spring and summer of makeing shot that my drippers plugged. As for makeing the drippers yea there is some fun in makeing them yourself if your going to make a machine on your own, but for the price of buying the items to make them, and then actual time, trying to drill all those tiny holes, I am going to just buy another set from James Stewart for $50.for double drippers and $30 for singles less headache swearing and time.

Jerry Lewis
  10. plinker611

plinker611 Member

yes it is getting harder to get good wheel weights,as far as the change it started 5 years ago,not 15 yrs ago,and the wheel weights that are coming in need to be sorted,to get the zink/lead mix weights out(i sort out all junk/strip weights prior to melt to save energy-lp any how).,i get the weights from 7 tire changers,have so for the last 16 yrs,and in a 5 gallon bucket,30-40% is junk,so do we just give in??? heck no,we need to find a way to use(harden) the soft lead we have set aside,mark
  11. plinker611

plinker611 Member

thanks doggai,ive been sorting through a screen that has holes that a 7.5(maybe 6.5) will flow through,and i figure if my shot will fit through that its going down the barrel,im working on my hard/soft lead mix also,...plus im working on the zink/lead mix/going to try the larger shot sizes first,to keep the energy on the target,and after shooting/weening myself to 7/8 & 1 oz loads,the bigger shot should work.so save all mc/zn weights,and i may have a answer to zink usage soon,so do you have a name for the welders tip tool so i can get one?? ill be needing one,thanks,mark jones
  12. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Member

Drill bit sizes; 71/2=# 72 .025, 8=# 74 .0225, 81/2=# 76 .020, 9= 78 .016. The decimal numbers are the shot diameter's
    These are available from Enco 1-800-873-3626 or use-enco.com
    I make my own nozzles as well and use a Dremel tool to drill the small holes. When I get ready to clean the nozzles, I blow them out with 175 PSI air while still hot and then run them through several cycles in the Ultra Sonic cleaner using Outer's Lead Out solution. The pin vise as shown above is also available at Enco or Harbor Freight. Harley
  13. plinker611

plinker611 Member

thanks harley
  14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Someone correct me, but I do believe the zinc weights do not have any lead in them. The European Union forced these zinc weights on the rest of the world and then of course the good ole U.S. had to follow suit. For a ton of info on alloying lead etc check out http://www.theantimonyman.com. Check out Rotometals,Inc for a list of different alloys. Bill
  15. torqueman

torqueman Member

center drilled some 3/8 bolts and drilled the orfice holes now just have to make the lead pan what angle should the plate be that holds the drippers? thanks JOE
  16. plinker611

plinker611 Member

there are pure zink weights,and there weights alloyed with lead,they have mc-zn on them,the zink will take around 900+ degrees to melt,the mc-zn weights will melt around 600,quick check by trying to cut each type with a pair of side cutters,youll feel the differance,mark
  17. torqueman

torqueman Member

Are the mc-zn useable?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.