1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

home made shot in northeast ohio

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by crustygalloot, Mar 31, 2017.

1. 10Goal

10Goal Active Member

I thought wheel weights were on their way out is why I asked.

I think I'll make my money some other way and leave the shot-making to you guys :)

2. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

10 Goal,
    Who is making money making shot? I do not sell shot, I only use it for myself and the other two
    gentleman that are involved with my shot making operation. It's what we shoot.
    Together we shoot over 100,000 rounds of 1 1/8th oz loads.
    That just a tad over 3 1/2 tons of shot per year. No one makes a dime, it's a lot of work, but while most are
    paying over $5.00 a box for their shells we load for well under $2.00 a box. We don't have to worry about
    the quality of the shot that we we're loading because I make sure that it's at least as good as the best one can buy.
    I do trade shot for wheel weights in large quantities and I have enough at this time to make over 4 tons per year
    for the next 5 years.
    MG

3. Gussers

Gussers Well-Known Member

WOW, that's a lot of wheel weights.

mg1polo thanked this.
  4. GoldEx

GoldEx Well-Known Member

Amen brother!

Unless you get your lead for free and have it delivered to your door for free in a form ready to feed into the shot maker, you aren't going to make any money selling it. There is way too much involved in the entire manufacturing process to turn a worthwhile profit. I got into it for the same reason as MG. Me and a couple other guys got to shoot for a whole lot less. Amazing how many guys wanted to just give us their lead so we could do the work and give them all the shot back for a few dollars. When offering the use of the machine and instruction on how to do it, their enthusiasm died off pretty quick and a 70/30 split (I got the 70) didn't seem so bad. The trading shot for wheel weights got me my lead for my shot for free but there are hours involved in converting wheel weights to usable ingots and then baby sitting the shotmaker for hours, washing the shot, then sorting, graphiting, and then packaging in jugs. If I put a reasonable value on my time for the labor involved, I would almost be better off buying shot. Almost. It's a hot, dirty operation but on the bright side, there is always cold beer when we're done!

Jeff

5. mg1polo

Jeff, an excellent analogy!

MG

6. 10Goal

10Goal Active Member

That's as it is with most things - it's hard to beat a man at his own game. And it's hard to compete with major companies that purchase components by the trainload and have robots building their product.

Welcome to the throw-away society, where recyling seldom pays.

7. backfencer

backfencer Member

Nice topic guys. Dad and I had a Littleton for years, until the pan eroded. Was able to patch it a couple times but it finally shit-the-bed. I quit shooting for over 10 years, but did have a stash of 3500lbs of wheel weights out in an old lean-to at our construction yard. One day, we went to go look at the stash as we thought of doing a "split/trade" with another friend for finished shot. Some SOB had stolen the old wheel weights! I never thought a thief would steal lead! Oh well....

8. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Active Member

The addition of a small amount of antimony (5% to 6%) to lead will significantly alter the alloy's behavior compared to pure lead: although the melting point of pure antimony is 630 °C, this mixture will be completely molten and a homogeneous fluid even at temperatures as low as 371 °C. Letting this mixture cool the ...

9. mg1polo

Say what?

10. mg1polo

540 - 100 lbs buckets all stored in a very safe place!
    Yes it's a lot, but I don't have to pay no $34.00 for a bag
    of shot. I guess I invested wisely.
    MG

Gussers thanked this.
  11. Harley Lekvold

Google/Wikipedia

12. mg1polo

What is it that you are trying to say?
    MG

13. Harley Lekvold

GoldEx posted in # 19 the melting point of Antimoy is 1167 degrees. I have melted over 2 ton of antimony and never had to get it to 1167°. I also have a good stash of wheel weights, but not near the amount you have, plus I have over a ton of linotype.

14. mg1polo

Gotcha! With the price of Antimony I can't see that I would ever be using it.
    That and the toxicity of it, makes me not want to mess with it.
    MG

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Well-Known Member

You must have a very special lead melting pot then because that's what the melting point of pure antimony is.

melting point of antimony - Google Search

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    mg1polo thanked this.
  16. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

So just to do the math here:

you will do a 50/50 split withsomeone on lead shot production, and 100 lbs of wheelweight yields one 25 lb bag of shot.

So at your requested one-Ton minimum....a supplier would bring you one Ton of lead, and would leave with 250 lbs of shot?

Is this correct?

17. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

You know, you can buy the shot, and then just drink a cold beer anyway!!

18. mg1polo

John Henry,
    Where do you ever see me saying that I will do a 50/50 split with anyone. No way!
    If you bring me 100 lbs of wheel weights, I will usually give you 1 bag of shot.
    I say usually, because some peoples wheel weights are 50% or more scrap.
    On a ton, that works out to 500 lbs of shot. There are 20 - 100 lbs buckets of wheel weights in a ton
    20 x 25lbs = 500 lbs or 20 bags of shot.
    Buy shot - $35.00 a bag
    Make shot $5.00 a bag
    Not a hard choice for me,
    Load 50,000 rounds at $5.00 per bag = $703.25 of shot
    Load 50,000 rounds at $35.00 per bag = $4,922 of shot
    MG

19. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

My apologies, I thought you were one of the guys talking about a 50/50 split.

Yes, since you got all that lead for free, and put no value on your time, I can see how $5 a bag for shot is an awesome price!

20. mg1polo

John Henry,
    It takes 5 minutes for me to drop 25 lbs of shot. So at $5.00 a bag that equates to $60.00 per hour.
    The machines are going on tomorrow. The plan is for a 5 hour run. Very close to 1500 lbs.
    Gotta love lead,
    MG

John Henry thanked this.