1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Made Shot Coolant Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I know there have been a lot of discussion on this, but I need to know how those of you who use antifreeze with a little detergent added, clean it off your shot.
    I intend to spread it on screens, give it a rinse with a hose and place a fan underneath and hope that is all that is necessary.

I started with crop oil and found it a bugger to get off. It took more time to clean it than make it. I have since made a coolant / shot separator and am going to antifreeze coolant. I will make about a two tons of shot in the next few weeks. Just a quick rinse and spread on towels don't work with quantity.

Thanks in Advance
    Jim

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use the soap/antifreeze method. I drilled some holes in the bottom of a bucket and installed some window screen in the bottom. I dump the new shot in the bucket and use a hose to wash the shot off. It takes a few minutes. When the soap suds stop coming out of the bottom. I'm done washing. Then I pour the shot onto a large screen boxed tray for drying. I run about 50lbs at a time in the bucket, as that's all I want to lift. I'm going to get a squirrel cage blower for drying on the trays, to speed things up, a bit.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

ok you all can start now
    Get a used bed mattrass you can pick them up for free. wash the shot and dump on the mattrass . it will dry and then when not in use the dogs can use it no fleas and they smell like shot that has had a bath in soap.
    If wife throws you out you have a place to sleep
    we think of everything in WV. GOT to BYRDS dead so dont know where the next pork is coming from

4. shot410ga

Doggai: I have been cranking out some shot. Eights and 8.5's. I bet I've made 750lbs. The system works great. I drop the shot from 1/4" into the coolant, no problems.

5. shot410ga

That's 250lbs, not 750lbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.