1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

home made shot/best coolant to use

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by plinker61, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i have a question for tose who are makeing their own shot.what type of coolant are you useing,and what are you useing to rinse the shot with?im in the process of setting up a shot making system,ang am trying to find ideas for the easyest way to rinse the shot,with the least amount of toxic chemacals,
    if you are having good success with what you are useing i would like to hear from you,thank you,mark jones

2. 1oz

1oz Member

I use cheapest dot 3 brake fluid i can find which in my area is Advance Auto brake fluid , I wash with water . Have tried All Liquid Detergent soap didn't like . I'm very happy with my shot

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

thank you for the info,mark jones

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use low-tox antifreeze. At 6 gallons to fill my recirculating system, Brake fluid is a little spendy.

Jim

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I plead ignorance. Why not use plain ole water?

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

Why not use good ole US made beer?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I made shot, I used a 2-1 mixture of water miscible oil and water. If I were to make shot again, and that possibility is remote, I would change to a solution of 4-1 liquid detergent and water.

Dave- Water will cool the shot too quickly forming flat spots.

Pat Ireland

8. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Started out with fiften gallons of MedSafe , got low on fluid and added some water soluable cutting oil , got low agin added laundry detergent, now its hard to figure out what I;m droping it into but it works and is makeing good shot. no telling what I;ll add next time I get low , seems like just about anything but water will work.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Careful with the brake fluid. It's quite flammable. Please Don't ask how I know that! :)

10. scott k

scott k TS Member

i use brake fluid, 15 gal in my system, because 1, it works, 2, i don't have to mix it, 3, washes off with cold water. if you use oil, you have to wash in gas or paint thinner witch will add to the cost. in time brake fluid is cheaper. and a 5 gal pail of water is safer then a 5 gal pail of gas to have in your shop.

later scott

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Scott - Water miscible oil, commonly used as cutting oil in machine shops, quickly rinses off with water. If the wife is not around, hot water from a kitchen sink works great for washing off the oil.

Pat Ireland

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

This is a bit off topic of coolant types, but I am now in the process of sizing the shot I have made. I searched McMasters-Carr for a proper size of screening, but it is rather confusing.

The best I could find was a thin steel-wired door-type screen in .104, .093, .090 and .100 opening size..

I'm not real sure this will hold up, and as expensive as it is, I only want to buy it once. any other ideas or suppliers? What is your design for a seperator? If you made your own, and drilled holes, what size drill did you use for different size shot. My information is only in 1/64's, not number sizes.

Also, my melter manufacturer sent, and recommended a moly paste for the dripper slope. I ccoated it good three times before making shot, but after about 5-6 minutes, the shot started to stick. I see some use soap-stone on the lip. Is this better than the very expensive moly paste?

Danny

13. Grumpy

Grumpy TS Member

Hello Scott---Great talking to you the other night, What do you do with the rinse water when you are done washing the brake fluid off your shoot???

After you are done making shoot and store your equipment away do you leave the brake fluid in the quenching tank ??? or do you drain off the fluid and store it in a sealed container ???

Wheel weights----- Metal recyclers are paying $0.22/lb. for large quantities 200+lbs. I pay the local auto wreckers and the large tire shops the going rate of $0.22/lb.The local car dealers don't want to be bothered disposing of them and just give them to me in return I tidy up there tire area.
    Regards, Wayne

14. skeetosc

skeetosc TS Member

I started my shot making with Hyd oil works perfect but you have to wash it with gas. Then I changed to Brake Fluid it works great but it is flammable and you can’t put it out easily even if you cover it up, when you take the cover off the white smoke will ignite just like a BBQ. My shot runs are getting the 8 gallons of oil and the 8 gallons of brake fluid up to 190~. I'm going to Antifreeze just to be safer. I'll also be putting a cooler in line with my tank.
    I'm Happy with Jim's Shot maker with some minor alterations.

15. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Low-Tox anti-freeze -- mix 6 gals of Low Tox with 16 oz. of liquid laundry detergent -- easy clean up -- no flash point to worry about -- makes great shot -- no problems with it

16. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I'm using crop oil at a 2/3 oil and 1/3 water as recommended by Jim Stewart. My cooling tank holds approx. 6 gal. Wash it off with with water, cold works, warm works better. I use one of the jugs to mix replacement fluid in and it seems to work pretty darned good for me. Since I'm not in this for anyone but myself and a couple of friends I don't run what would be considered large quantities of shot, so far around 500 lbs. All in all it's not commercial quality but the rocks I've managed to hit with it sure don't know it. By the way, crop oil is as cheap or cheaper than the other liquids, plus I can always use some of it in my sprayers. Hope this helps. Bill

17. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Started with crop/agg oil and it worked great until I read the label. That is some nasty stuff. Now use Low-Tox anti freeze as dmm does. 6 gallons mixed with about 16 oz. no suds detergent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.