1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Insurance ?. DO They Have Inspection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My question is do home insurance co have inspections of your house AFTER you have had their insurance for a number of years with NO problems what so ever? IF so will they have an ID card to say they work for that insurance co?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have never had any Insurance Company tell me thay wanted to do an Inspection, but I always give them a copy of the one that I had done when I was buying the house ... I call and let them know of any improvements that I have done and E-Mail them pictures of same ... I have the best home policy that money can buy, some kind of Gold policy and it costs about $20.00 more per year that the next best thing which is what they call Broad Form ... If someone, anyone showed up at my door wanting to do an inspection they would have a Badge of some sort and I would of been notified prior to them coming over or they would not do their inspection and my Agent would get an ear full, guaranteed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Yes, they do, at least some companies do. But usually the only on-site inspection takes place just after your initial policy is instated. I did this type of inspection for 12 different insurance companies through a data collection company.
    On this check, only the house dimensions, and potential hazards are checked. Look out for trampolines, skate board ramps, bicycle jumps, vicious dogs, (which have to be listed by breed), pools without fences, or pools with unlocked gates. But the biggie is metal roofs. Some companies FROWN on these. It was not necessary to enter the house unless it was quite old (forgot the age now) to check for wiring, plumbing, heating, etc which did not meet code. If you are building a new house, paying attention to the above might affect your premium.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont know about that- coming to the house-- I have owned a whole bunch of homes in a whole bunch of places with a whole bunch of people I knew in each location- that spanned the country and I have never had that or had a friend that had it occur--

It would have to be in the policy-- to allow that.

regards from Iowa (now)

Gene

5. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

GN--------You now "know about it" because I just told you. I was required to do the inspections and I did them. In the years I did inspections I only had to do 4 of these. The particular company I was doing the inspection for required this on homes built before nineteen forty something, (forget exactly what year). But yes, it DOES HAPPEN.

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

Our home was built in 1847, it sat empty for four years before we bought it. We first had a "builders policy" I think they called it while we were renovating it. When we moved in the ins co required an inspection inside and out.

ctreay

7. Auctioneer

The house was built in 1841, added on either 1895 or 1900. It does have a metal roof. We have been with this co for about 20 years with a agent that died about 8 years ago. Another agent has it now and this past summer they had my mother take pic's of the outside of the buildings. Now they want a walk through of the house. Security is my big concern. Not wanting info about the house and the things inside to get out. Guns, reloading room and of corse belongs.

I can understand an inspection when you first sign up but it has been 20 years. Why now?

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I built my home in 1989, transferred my State Farm policy from the old to the new once the C of O was issued (had a construction policy while building). No inspection by the insurance company at that time (nor during construction), however, after the hurricane Andrew fiasco, State Farm sent a rep. out to verify the house (not contents) with any improvements. Since that time I have added improvement and increased the size by 1200+ sf. I notified State Farm, but no inspection, so??

Just in case, I have documented everything and even went so far as to give my agent a dated disk with pictures, etc.

Curt

9. Auctioneer

Like all people I regrete not taking pic's in past years. With 35mm and getting it developed it cost alot of money. Now that I have a digital camera I take pic's before and after of things I do around the place. Just in case I need to show someone something.

Has anyone here had a problem with the insurance co about reloading equipment and the fact you have guns in the house?

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You had better get used to it. Especially with the sudden change in property values. If you think a home inspected 20 yrs ago is the same home today, wrong. The inspection actually works in your favor and makes sure you home is insured to value. You might be surprised that the beautiful home when purchased now looks like a dump or is in the middle of foreclosure or vacant. It is not the same world it was a few years ago.

Failure to co-operate may find you looking at a cancelation notice or a elevated premium. I forsee almost all companies going to some sort of inspection program in the near future. By the way most inspection are exterior only unless signs indicate the need for an interior(like a wood burner's chimney).

Don

11. twopipe

twopipe Member

I do the electrical inspections on these older homes here in Ontario.

..........and it's genuinely scary what I find !

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Nationwide sent one to my house to check it out and he turned in the wrong dimensions. I called and explained that the dimensions were wrong and they said they would have him re measure it. They wanted to raise my rates and charge me too much. I faxed them a copy of my blueprints and explained where he had made his mistakes.

I was told that they have to go by what he turns in. I told them that I did not and I changed companies.

This adjuster spent more time telling me about his past job at Home Depot and some company where he sold caulking. What a joke he was.

Was also told that if you are insured for less than 80 percent replacement value that you have no insurance.

If you add on and do not pay more and are covered for less less 80 percent of the replacement value, it would be good to check with your agent to assure you are covered. Ray

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Outside, no problem. Before anyone comes inside, I would call the company and verify his butt.

What a sweet way to case burglaries.

HM

14. DanLee

DanLee Member

Halfmile has it right.

15. Auctioneer

I fully agree. If he wants to walk around the house I can't say much. Going inside is another thing. I don't know if he or the co is anti gun or not. And as stated above is he casing the place out? I have already decided to ask for ID.

16. DanLee

DanLee Member

Chicken coops can't be single family dwellings? What world are you living in? I've seen storage containers that had more than one family of illegal beaners living in them.

17. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Also, another reason for the on-site check is to determine that there really is a house there. One location had just a pile of used lumber, no house. The inspection probably saved the company quite a bit.

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If they demand a walk-thru inspection, be sure powder is in proper magazines as required and primers are properly contained. These items will create a red flag for the inspector and some will make a big thing of them. Put your guns in the safe, out of site, out of mind.

Big Jack

19. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I came home one day and found footprints in the snow around my house and 2 small barns. I had no idea who it might have been until a week or so later when I got a letter from my ins agent's office telling me that they were going to cancel my homeowners policy unless I put a new roof on my 30x40 barn.. I told them I hadn't decided whether or not to re-roof or tear the barn down. They told me I had 30 days to do one or the other. They would not eliminate coverage from the barn as an option but referred me to another ins company that would (at a larger premium). I was up the creek as no one wants to re-roof a barn in winter. The insurance industry has changed greatly since 911. Larry Evans

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What has really changed it is the number of foreclosures and walk aways. Companies don't really know what they have out there.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.