1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home from Jaquas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

Just arrived home from Jaquas. I went there hoping to trade my Infinity towards a K80 TS. They would not accept it on trade offered me nothing, and did not even take it out of case. I never thought they would just turn me away, I thought they may offer a low price. I am at a loss for words. Jerry in MI.

2. HanaMX-10

HanaMX-10 TS Member

Jerry, that totally stinks! Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Unfortunatly, the second that DeVault shut down his production on his Infinity shotguns, the owner's were left out in the cold. No one is out on the circuit repairing Infinities. They are a very limited type gun. They are not in the winners circle and major events, (I'm referencing the winners board from the Grand).

I'm not sticking up for Jaqua's and he should have given you at least a BS figure that you would have said, NO WAY!, but why would Jaqua's want a gun that he can't sell? The re-sale value for an Infinity today is nothing. People want whats hot now, hence the reason you were trading yours in towards a K-80TS.

Your best bet was to sell it the minute he stopped building them. Now they are a collectors item.

Good luck and let us know if anything happens with selling your Infinity. I'll keep shooting my P Gun.

Matt

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Super X-1's, Ithica SB's, Bakers, and Coles aren't made anymore, but they are worth something.

When did Devault shut down?

4. over the hill

over the hill Well-Known Member

They don't get too excited about Ljutics either.

Usually,they only have a few used for sale.

Regards.....Gerald

5. Hungarian

Hungarian TS Member

It's the economy. I have been at Jaquas and have heard some conversations. Don't take it personally.

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I would suggest taking the gun to GLSA off of oakley park rd near DGC. Kurt might take it on trade or consign it for you.
    He has a much nicer web site and pretty impressive volume.

7. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

i was at jaquas today also, i got to look out over bank 2 and seen what was left of that tree that was an eye sore for many years. GONE

8. max trap

max trap Member

Every Infinity i've seen come up for sale has sold. A new K-80ts is somewhere around 16 grand for a combo. I've seen them sell on this site as low as 10 grand and many times at 11 grand. I wanted to trade a late model adjustable rib Seitz on a Blaser combo and a couple well known dealers told me they really weren't interested. I wasn't offended because the Blaser is the new hot deal right now and the Seitz isn't. Jerry I would give Dennis a call and see if he can help you sell it. Times are tough right now...but there is a market for the Infinity. Ed

9. max trap

max trap Member

By the way... Devault did NOT shut down. He simply isn't building the Infinity right now. Ed

10. JRW

JRW Member

I want everyone to know that I in no way am knocking the Infinity or Dennis and crew. The gun shoots well I have posted good scores with it. I am just a little miffed with Jaquas. I really thought I would walk out with a Trap special. Jerry

11. Mtneer

Mtneer TS Member

Unfortunately for you guns that are in the higher ranger right now do not move very fast at all. I can completely understand why they would not want to make an offer. A lowball offer (especially on a higher end gun) usually serves to insult the seller. As someone earlier mentioned, many shops will consign a gun rather than outright purchase. This minimizes the risk that they run into.

12. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Jerry,I can understand your befuddlement.I stopped in their last March on my way to the Southern Grand with the idea of picking up a TM-1 that I had been eyeballing on the internet.I found it and was approached by a salesman.I noticed it was missing the front bead and the recoil pad was loose.The salesman told me "I could steal a bead from my wifes (wasn't my wife) necklace" that was with me and put on the gun.Sure didn't seem like he cared if he sold the gun or not.I also wanted to shoot it and was told the trap wasn't open due to the winter.I can remember going down in years past in the winter and being able to try guns on the trap range.I couldn't believe that Jaquas would even have a gun in that condition in their rack!Seems like since the son took over things are going downhill.Would never have been treated like that by George or Camille.Have you considered the Indiana Gun Club? They have lotsa guns and take trades.Take care and hope to see ya in the spring and good luck selling your Infinety.I thought you shot it quite well and am surprised to hear your wanting to get rid of it. Moe

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

In this economy high-end guns generally move slowly unless heavily discounted -- particularly specialty or "custom" trap guns. Gun shops generally pay 50-55% of what they expect to be able to get for a gun when they resell it. If they think it's likely to sit on the rack a long time, they offer even less (or decline to make any offer at all). If necessary to facilitate a sale on a new gun, they might go 60-65%, especially if the new gun price is significantly higher than the trade-in... and if you're not chiseling them on the new gun's price. The problem in the gun business, and similar businesses, is that most customers are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the burden of overhead and inventory costs. A typical customer brings in a gun that they love, wanting to trade it in on something better, and they put the gun shop in a no-win situation. If the shop offers them what they prudently can, the thin-skinned customer gets offended. But if instead they choose to avoid offending the customer by declining to make any offer, the customer feels snubbed. So what can the shop do, other than politely decline? It's like when someone is trying to sell an otherwise sweet shotgun they ruined by adding a Cutts compensator. They don't know, and they don't know they don't know. And there's nothing truthful you can say without offending them.

-Gary

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You might have tried calling first thereby avoiding a embarassing situaltion.

Michmoe: You are wrong and why would they have a trap open in March, I have seen them closed and unavailable with George and Camile running the place.

Don

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why should you be miffed at Jaquas? I know you feel insulted but it's not Jaquas, or any other dealers, job to get you out of a gun that they feel they will have a hard time moving and making a good profit on. Perhaps they knew they'd insult you with an offer that would offend you even more. Maybe they've had one that sat on the shelf a long time and they lost money on. Infinity's are great guns but often very customized dimensionally. I think that's why a lot of custom made guns are harder to sell. The number of opportunities to sell a custom stocked gun is reduced to the number of folks who can shoot it.

They've been in business a very long and successful time. They've run into awkward times like this before and I'm sure they don't like it either. The economy is probably a factor but sometimes its just that they don't want the gun right now. I'm sure they would have taken the gun on consignment. That would give you much more exposure to customers who'd love to have it.

Their action is not an indictment on you. I wouldn't take it personally. They are a good dealer.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has DeVault issued any kind of statement? I was surprised as I thought and still think they're a high class company. Perhaps too much on the high end?

17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Hang in there Jerry, Christmas is coming... for someone.... PM me with your price

18. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of a very happy Jaquas customer. Cam could have not been any nicer. She gave us a deal on some Briley ext chokes, filled out all of the Browning rebate paperwork, made copies for us to send in. We were not trading, just buying and the Citori was priced right - $150.00 - sales tax in Sept. I am happy that I only live 20 minutes from Jaquas.
    Doug Allison

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

Bill Jaqua knew what EVERTHING was worth. No longer the case. I had a similar situation at the Grand.

20. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Citori for $150? Do you mean $1500? Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jaquas trap shooting closing down

k80 from jaquas