1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Depot Husky Air Compressors

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 320090T, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I need a short, vertical air compressor to go under a work bench and the Husky at Home Depot would fit fine. It is a 20 gallon, electric, oil less, vertical air compressor. Anyone had experience with Husky air compressors? How about the oil less ones? Thanks!

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I had a Campbell Hausfield oil less. It was extremely noisy. I did not want to be in the room with it when it was running.

Jim Skeel

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

All the oil-less ones I have never lasted!!

Even the big commercial ones.

If it doesn't have a oil bathed pump don't bother IMHO!

I have a pancake 5 gal with a oiled pump, sold under "Stanly" , bought at Bi-Mart.

Its now 10 years old and has not failed!

Good luck!

4. Robb

Robb Member

No oil Craftsman here. Works fine but like said above it's loud but I have never been around a quiet air compresser.

5. drh08

drh08 TS Member

oiless is fine, loud however, but the compressor part is easy to rebuild as it's not designed to last that many hours. I would look at what you are using it for. 5 gal 1hp is perfect for the home unless you are sand blasting. With that said, I would look for an oiled for no other reason than you won't have to wear hearing protection around it.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I bought a Craftsman for a temp that has an oil lubed compressor because I knew the oil less ones were noisy a hell, and this one has the same obnoxious noise as the oil less ones

I need to get off my lazy A$$ and re run the air line that got tore off when the tornado hit the shop with the main compressor in it

It's only been 2 1/2 yrs

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If you want to hear what a noisy compressor sounds like have the compressor setting next to your cab while you are driving piling with a air hammer.

They are all noisy.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I went thru (2) oil less compressors within three years before I realized they are not built to last. Might be ok for someone who airs a tire up once every few months. Aside from that they are junk. Both of mine burned up in less then a year each and I was not working it hard. It's a simple concept in my mind, moving parts need lubrcation. Since buying my oil lubrcated compressor I have had no issues at all. I have been on the same compressor now for almost 10 years. I will also agree the oil less I had were very loud. Most compressors are not quiet unless you get a Rotary Screw unit but the oil less was insanely loud.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ditto the noisy. I have one in the garage, and if a tool is left in the Q. D. fitting it fires up at all hours.

If you have a no leak setup, like a short coil hose and nothing else you might be able to live with it.

If you are the jumpy type get a piston model so you don't run a screwdriver through your hand when it fires up.

HM

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What about carpenters who use them for nail guns? What do they use?

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

All the Carpenters I've been around use oiless compressers. You still need to change the oil in the compresser on a regular basis. I had one that wouldn't build pressure anymore. Took it apart and made a new gasket and it worked fine afet that.

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The ones I've been around all have the Emglo daul tanks, they'll have a wheel between the tanks up front. I don't know the model. they come electric or gas powered. All will be oil bathed pumps.

they are cost a bunch more.

Web site has 2 pictured, the 4gal one is a Work Horse. Will do just about anything around the home shop.

The one on wheels probably replaced the old style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to rebuild an oil bathed compressor