1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Depot Deceptive Pricing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I recently had to cut down a few trees & now have to deal with the remaining stumps. Nothing real big, 8'-12". I knew Home Depot rented stump grinders, so I went there yesterday to check one out. It looked like it would do the job, so I talked to Stan,(Rental Guy)& he gave me a price list with all the available rental equipment. $104/4 hours. Not bad, as I figured I wouldn't need it more than 3 hours. I tried to reserve it for today & was told they do not reserve them, first come first served. So today I go and get the grinder. JR (rental guy) helps me put it on my trailer & we go work up the sale. They require $150 credit card deposit & a drivers license. So far, so good. I go home, grind up a bunch of stumps & 3 hours later I'm back at HD. Now Dan (rental guy) helps me unload & we go to finalize the transaction. He has me sign the credit card machine for $124.41. I do a quick math calculation in my head & figure $104 x 7% sales tax should be about $111-$112. Now Dan shows me he charged me $10.40 for "estimate damage protection". He advised this is a standard charge in case something breaks, I will not be charged for it, sorta like insurance. I tell him that is a "backdoor" way to bump the price. He tells me no one else complains about it. I tell him I'm NOT someone else. Now, I would have rented it for the additional $10+. But do not try a deceptive add on. He would not remove it. I immediately found the manager & enlighten him to the transaction. He too, agreed with me. He looked at the price sheet & no where is it listed about additional costs. Anyway, I got my $$ back. I know this was a long winded post, but now you are aware of HD ways. Butch from Pgh

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have rented several tools from HD and they always ask about the Insurance and I decline. I have never had them try to add anything on

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What was on the paperwork that you signed when you rented the equipment?

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You should contact the store manager with your concerns and see where that takes you. My sister works for the company and they are very sensitive to customer issues.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Had to have a picture ID to rent a tool, did ya? Well that's just plain racist policy.

6. steele

steele TS Member

Joe, When I signed the electronic signature pad, there was no additional costs listed. The printed copy the salesman gave me had the extra charge. I didn't notice that until I returned the grinder. When I complained about the up-charge, the salesman told me I signed for it. There is a statement on the electronic pad that indicates, "will pay for any additional charges/services".
    I contacted the main rental office in Atlanta this morning. They advised this is a standard 10% charge, WHICH I COULD DENY, if I wanted to, at the time of the rental. Then I would be liable for any damage/breakage to the machine. I just think the total cost should be shown on the price list, not afterwards.
    They didn't mention anything about gas.
    Yak, He didn't ask for a photo ID, just the license. I guess in case I didn't return to machine. Butch

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I know HD and Lowes give Active and Retirees 10%. I was/are one and have never been refused. I use ID card not DD214 though. Jake

8. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The only place I have been denied the 10% discount was New York State last Fall. Ron

9. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Do you guys actually ask for a veterans discount?

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they ask? They seved this Country they deserve something back. I think it should be a law that all Veterans get a discount at every store and restaurant. It's the least we can do for those who were willing to die for our freedom.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I served my country and never ask for a discount. Don't feel like it is needed. I did my job and took my chances of coming out alive. Why should I ask for a discount when others that wanted to go, but couldn't for some reason or another, don't qualify for the discount. If asked, I just tell em, thanks but no thanks.

GneJ

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I was at Lowes yesterday and showed my DD214. The clerk said I had to either be on active duty or retired from the military. Always before they gave me the discount.

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the hippie - I did 23 years on active duty and I'd never ask for a discount anywhere. I get the benefits I was promised and I get a retirement check... I don't need or want anything more.

14. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I am a vet and I would never ask for a discount from a private business. If it was offered, I might take it but I would never ask. I feel the same way about a senior discount.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As a Vet and Senior I accept the discounts offered. There is a resturant not too far from me that has a large neon sign that offers 15% to Vets. They get our busniess. I thank the management everytime we go, they thank us for our service and our busniess. A nice partnership I think. Also, when I see you service personnel around I thank them for their service. It always brings a smile to their face. During my earlie days thanks is something we did not recieve. (70s) When I see a individual wearing WWII Vet ect I thank them as well. It costs me nothing and makes me and them feel a moment of kindness for service renendered. Jake

16. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I rented a trailer loaded with a small tractor and equipment to till and trench bore and level . it was around $300 for a 24 hr period. return the next day and bill is over $1200. Seems there is a run time go over allotted time ans price jumps. I was not told about the run time overcharges. I happened to have helped out tool rental manager in my business. I ended up only paying the 24 hour rate. I guess I needed to read the total agreement, most of the time I am just wanting to get my project done, I guess that's what HD counts on.

17. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Hey guys,

I hate to pop your bubble but if we're talking auto repair specialty tools, try O'Riley'( sp?) auto parts. They have a large selection of specialty tools that none of us want to buy for a one time deal but need them to proceed. I've rented a box of high quality spindle nut sockets (metric), paid with a card including a $150 deposit, used and returned it with no charge at all. They just say "remember us when you need parts, etc". They key in a refund to your card and hand you a receipt with no charge. I used them again for another tool with the same deal. Now you can't beat that and since then I've used them for my routine auto parts needs. Tell the world. You don't have to use a crescent wrench on anything important anymore.

Larry

18. k80bking

k80bking Member

Hey Butch, Check your PM . Bill

19. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Once you find out what HD's politics are....no need to shop there and fund their agenda.

20. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Big sign on Lowes "their AD is OUR AD". Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.