1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Defense Guns

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by carv, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carv

carv Member

0   0   0

A couple of weeks ago someone had two listed for sale among other guns. Anyone have a link to the thread? I have searched and can not find it. Thanks in advance!!

2. Gary M

Gary M TS Member

0   0   0

Carv,

Search poster 2@8lo on 23rd of Feb.

Gary

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Consider one of the Taurus Judge pistols.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have a Taurus Judge, It is my car gun---my wife's niece shot it from our rear porch in total darkness, the flash will rob all your night vision. On the other hand, What is the typical home invasion scenario?-- I have a FN-57 with a 10 rd magazine extension---gives me 30+1 for the first threat. Is the typical a home invasion, usually at the front door or while you're awake or in the middle of the night when you're in a deep sleep? Different weapon may be called for.

Phil Berkowitz

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Home Defense?? Forget those handguns. That is for the movies. Any short barreled shotgun with 12 Gauge 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 ammunition will take care of any threats within the confines of your home with much less wall penetration. Personally, I am considering a Mossberg 500 Persuader with an 18.5 inch barrel. 5 + 1 capacity. However, in the latest American Rifleman magazine they tested the Stoeger P-350 Defense Shotgun with an 18.5" barrel. This might be something to consider also. Again, handguns in the home for self defense is something best left for the movies. Shotguns are the answer. Take it from someone who spent most of my career combat training law enforcement with both the handgun and the shotgun. There is just no comparison. I might add that "221" has the correct answer. If possible get out the back door with your family. Ed

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

My home defense Ithaca 37.

Cut the busted polychoke off a 1956 Model 37 to 18 1/2"

Note:

the high tech optics at the front of the barrel,

the high capacity magazine

and the space-age polymer tactical stock.

Lou

[​IMG]

7. esoxhunter

0   0   0

Lou: Hey that looks like it is a great economical home defense tool. It will handle any type of threat inside of your home. Just remember; you need to "crisis rehearse" a plan. If, (heaven forbid), a threat occurs inside of your home; rehearsing your plan, (either engaging or disengaging), will allow you to act efficiently and effectively. Ed

8. M-16

M-16 TS Member

0   0   0

Shotgun is the best, and as a few said plan out were you can shoot as to were the rest of your family is, or even nieghbers. Smaller shot to avoid excess penetration. Even #9 shot at 20 feet is going to detain someone with a bullet proof vest. As they will be tring to catch there breath after stopping a 1oz load. Giving you time to convince them to give up or place a shoot some where other then the vest.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Just a reminder that many police departments are shying away from shotguns and are moving to Ar-15's or mini-14's for 'in house' work.

Real world data suggests that shotguns over-penetrate, especially with sheet rock, while the 223/5.56 rounds tend to be stopped quickly by sheet rock. The idea is that the ranges are so short the pattern cannot expand and you are essentially shooting something much closer to a slug that a pattern of small pellets.

A recent Myth Busters, while not looking specifically at this issue collected data that backs this up.

Food for thought.

10. esoxhunter

0   0   0

In our training plans, "a rule of thumb" was that an open choked shotgun had a pattern spread of approximately 1" per foot. Therefore if you fired a shotgun inside a 20+ foot living room you would have a spread of approximately 1 - 1/2 feet. Tell me the spread one would have by firing a .223 cartridge? Our service rifle happened to be a Ruger Mini-14. We felt they were far inferior to the 12 gauge shotgun in a confined area such as rooms. As far as penetration; all ammunition will have a certain degree of penetration. That is why a home defense shotgun should not utilize buckshot or larger type shot. Again, a 12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot will stop most any threat one might face and with the pattern spread; will allow a little room for error, especially in a crisis situation. Ed

11. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

0   0   0

"Trust me brothers and sisters, you light him up with one of these coming down the hall, it's gonna leave a mark, and it's gonna be a BIG one."
    Clint Smith

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

0   0   0

A cylinder bore gun should open up 1" per YARD, not 1" per foot. If 1" per foot were correct, at 20 yards you'd have a 60" pattern with a skeet choke.

Bird shot is for little birdies, and I wouldn't want to count on it to go through heavy clothing, a leather jacket, or fat to get to vitals and stop an assailant. My riot gun is loaded with 00 Buck.

~Michael

13. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

0   0   0

From the above web site.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

My old 1917 in 45 Long Colt has the honors.. No thought process.. just pull the trigger..

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

0   0   0

Keep in mind where some live I have 500yards to the closest house but some may only have two panels of drywall. Do you have other people/kids in the house what walls can you shoot through safely. Even if the perp has something to stop #8 shot if hit in the chest he will have the wind knocked out of him. Now you can identify him, yell to insure where all of your family members are. If he's stuiped shoot him again. 10 feet with any shotgun shell or gauge it's gona hurt to the extent he'll need the conner. We've run into problems clearing building in the military were we clear them by floor. Ran into when doing diffrent roo m at the same time found out to be facing each other through a wall since we didn't have a floor plan. A battle load for the m-16/m4 will make short work of 4" of concrete on auto. I'd have a hard time knowing I'd shot my fellow soldier/ family member

16. esoxhunter

0   0   0

Michael you are correct. My screw up. 1" per 3' is correct. Given that the same 20+ foot room will produce a pattern of approximately 7". That being said; I would much rather be hit by a common handgun cartridge than a load of 7 1/2 inside the confines of an average room. Ed

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

0   0   0

20' with a handgun I'm going to be iffy. 20' with a shotgun, my target is going to have 9 pellets of 00 in its chest and belly. ;-)

~Michael

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

How about an attack cat?

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

19. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

0   0   0

First how many bad guys have been arrested wearing body armor? Most have never even seen body armor. Second the next time you are at the range take an old heavy coat wrap it around a bushel bag of corn and shoot it with several different things. Judge for yourself.

I prefer a dog first, and then my shot gun with some #4's. I also have talked to my children and grandchildren about what is expected in the case of a home invasion. We leave a 12 - 14" gap between the bed and the wall, things go bump in the night grab your blankets and roll into the hole and don't answer anyone but me. I know where they are and where I can shoot. Those that do not plan may regret it.

20. esoxhunter

0   0   0

Leadman: We called what you describe as "crisis rehearsal". It's no different than rehearsing a fire drill. You must have a plan, if and when it happens. If you don't; what happens?? You go into a panic mode and you either over react or do nothing at all. Bottom line, have a plan, share it with your family and you will most likely react in a proper manner. Again, going back to "221"'s response; "avoid it if possible"; i.e. you and your family should get out and away from the threat if at all possible. Hey, we are crisis rehearsing right now and don't know it!! Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.