1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Brew Rocket Launcher Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdtracker, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I just had to do it. Please tell us your favorite Rocket Launcher Load for ATA shoots. You know 54 grains of Blue Dot with one ounce of 9's. Sorry just had to. Birdtracker

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

1 1/38's of 5 at about 1350fps. The only thing about using this load is you have to be careful about shooting when cross targets from other traps are in the air...it will generally smoke them too!

The other thing is you can not shoot them with trees under 100 yards in the background because they will rip off small limbs and branches!

Mark

3. birdtracker

I don't care who you are now that is funny!!!

4. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Funny and makes me want to make a couple of boxes for some clays, at least if I can't hit my clays I can take out a few branches while trying lol.

John MI

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

birdtracker,

I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays with some very talented shooters. When we encountered a station that had a protruding obstacle right where you wanted to shoot the target, it was my time to shoot first.

I had my limb removal loads. I used 1 1/8oz of copper plated 7 1/2's traveling 1350 fps or so. Since there are no speed restrictions and plated shot is allowed in the NSCA, everything was legal.

You can't imagine the shooting lanes that I opened up on a few courses.

ss

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

ditto that. if the sweet spot is behind the leaves, you just have to clear it out for the benefit of next guy. and he'll do the same for you. good luck with it

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I was at a small club in Ohio many years ago shooting a buddy shoot with a local fellow as a partner. We kept backing up and got to the point where my Win. AA Silver 7 1/2's were getting a bit light for the job. My partner turns to me and says " Here, try one of my "special" loads." At which point I asked him what was in it ... he was shooting a Mod. 12 with ports that started just forward of the magazine hanger! When he shot these shells he looked like a top fuel dragster with the blue flames shooting out of the ports...but damn could it smoke a target from 50 - 60 yards!

He said " 1 1/4oz. of 5's with 26 grains of blue dot with 2 grains of Bullseye on the bottom to "light 'er up!"".

I declined the offer as I slowly backed away from him and his gun!

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The Bullseye on the bottom was the SRB (Solid Rocket Booster).

Eric

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Nobody has mentioned Redco! (Red Dot and Herco mix)

I am surprised Alliant has not brought this Rocket Fuel out as a canister powder.

10. flyngunslinger

flyngunslinger Member

Ya'll have lost-it! I learned the hard way about those big dog-killin loads.
    No more for me. I was loading 4756 and 1 3/8 of #6.....all was goin well till
    somehow my 9000 loader kinda hung on the way down so I let it back up and pulled the handle down again. It worked ok and progressed on. A few rounds later I happed to think, "humm, I wonder if I over charged that shell?" I looked in my bucket; it was half full, "oh well, can't find it now." Took my shells n sh**t
    and went to a trap shoot. First on of them big devils I shot musta been that d*^%$ed shell! Blowed the Barrel lug of of my K5 and greatly expanded the chamber. Lesson learned, I shoot a ounce and a eighth load of #6 for a back porch load. If it won't get the job done then I'm out anyway!

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have a very nice (and strong) load using 4756 with 1-3/8 oz.

Not to used by children, the infirmed and sissy boys...

Curt

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I loaded up 25 Nitro 27 hulls up and shot them last night in the shootoff for buddy shoot from the parking lot. Load is in the manual.

Nitro-27 hull 35.3 longshot, Windjammer wad, 1 1/8th oz #6s, I use Rio Primer.
    Listed at 1530fps 10,000 psi, very safe load feels like a new Silver Bullet

Lead target like a 27 yard bird=smoke, effective shootoff shell.

My CG has a tight full choke tube and pattern.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Gary B,

That is a fine load, I have been loading it for 2yrs to hunt with and it will reach out and touch them. Also smoke a target or two.lol.

thanks
    lee

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Let me tell you a true story.

A few years ago I attended a 3 day pretty good money shoot at Tri-City gun club in Kentucky. They held a separate calcutta each day and the payoffs were good. Each day was a 100 bird event and all had a slightly different format, but you had to shoot at least one 25 from your yardage every day. My yardage was 27, so I was on the back fence at least once every day.

I was in the money the first day. The second day I broke 99 straight and missed the last target out of the house...man was I pissed. I thought about it all evening so I decided to load me a special shell for the last target if I went 99 straight again on the third day.

I found a load in one of my loading manuals that called for 40.1 grains of Blue Dot and 1 3/8’s ounces of shot. I thought “man what a good load that would be.” I looked a little closer and saw the listed pressure was relatively low, so I thought “what the hell”, I’ll ad a few more grains of powder. I think I ended up with about 45 grains. I thought again, “If I am straight until the last target, I’m not sure if I have enough guts or stupid enough to drop the hammer on this one.”

Well sure enough, I broke 99 straight again and was faced with the decision of what to do. So I said to myself “well if I miss the last target again and don’t shoot the shell I built, I will never forgive myself, and besides if I miss it, at least I want to say I threw the kitchen sink at it.”

The flames flew out my old ported single barrel about 4 feet and smoke rolled out of my receiver that nearly blinded me. It sounded like a 105 howitzer went off and the rest of the people on my squad had the deer in the headlights look, and me too I guess.

I broke the last target, but my advice is never try this yourself....never ever!

Mark Rounds

15. birdtracker

So the biggest shell I ever shot was at a local club and on 16 yard targets. I had to shoot Winchester Silver Super Handicaps from the 16. It was really windy like 40 mph and snowing. The targets would go straight up in the air about 60 feet and blow back over your head. I was laughing so uncontrollably I couldn't believe I ran all 15 of them. I was the only person to break the 16s that night. I don't even shoot Silver Bullets on a calm day in handicap!!! Birdtracker

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Take a good look at the Longshot charts. 1 1/4 oz at 1400+ with plated shot will knock down the neighbors barn if it too close. Hits hard on both ends of the gun.

Big Jack

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

BigJack I load a 1440fps 1 1/4 oz of 6s load w/longshot in an Active Hull just so I never get that load mixed up. If you see me shooting an Active Shell you know what it is.

Bought $20 of buddy tickets tonite and cashed in $47.50 that is a good night.

Won the Annie Oakley with that shell on the 3rd shot pick up, smoked it like it was a 16 yard target.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Way back in the early 70's when dinausaurs roamed the earth before Longshot powder we used to use 1 1/4 oz. or 1 3/8 oz of nickel #6 shot with way too much
    Alcan AL7 or AL8 powder.
    We called them "bear loads". I doubt that you could have killed a bear with them but I know it was a "bear" standing up to the recoil!

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Hey there Gary, Maybe we ought to keep those loads a secret. But they do work!

Big Jack

20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

My recent development with help from someone from TS.

STS, Nitro 27 or Gun club hull, I use gun club so as to not mix my loads up and forget which is wich.

Gun Club hull, 30.2gr Longshot, Rem 209 primer, WAA12 wad, 1-1/8oz #6 magnum shot. This is a very impressive load. I was a little worried that the payload was a bit lite for the purpose of porch shoots and 3rd and 4th shot annies. NOT THE CASE! This load is amazing for 3rd shots on the line and equally amazing on 3rd shots from the porch.

My other favorite: Federal gold medal hull, 38.5gr Blue Dot, RP12 wad, Win209 or FIO616 primer, 1-1/4oz. mix 40/60 #5's & #6's or all #6.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.