1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Bluing Kit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trappy12, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

The bluing on the receiver of my gun has been wearing down for a while now because when I shoot, I don't hold the forearm stock, instead my hand holds it under the receiver. I have been wanting to get it re-blued for quite some time, but don't have the money for it. I have heard about these home re-bluing kits and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these, if it's difficult, good results, and a good product. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
    -Trappy

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I used this(link above) some time back on a beat up stainless tarus 22. More prep time would have yielded better results. It worked better than the 2 others I bought from brownells. There are a few other cold blue kits out there also.

I recently did a Parkerize kit, in dark black on a CZ 82
    Mind you this was my first parkerize job. The small parts need a redo. The pics are not in order, but slide before, after blasting, and final finish. I wanted a military style finish. simular to AR 15 finish. With each cleaning and oil the finish is evening out. If the gun has any real value I would leave it be or let a pro do the whole gun as to match barrels and reciever.
    <center>
    <a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view¤t=102_0745a.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><br /><br />
    <a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view¤t=102_0789.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><br /><br />
    <a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view¤t=102_0782.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><br /><br />
    </center>

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Follow-up question then.
    Anyone have any idea how much it would cost for me to get my BT-99 receiver re-blued with the Charcoal Hardening thing, and or just a straight bluing?
    -Trappy

4. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

I ran into a guy named Jim Van Gorden at a gun show in Eau Claire, WI a year or so ago, and he had a really great home bluing product called Van's Instant Gun Blue. I bought some for a rusty barrel. I have not done a receiver, but it did a bang up job on the barrel. And the stuff was cheap: about $10 a bottle.

His address is 1815 Main St., Bloomer, WI 54724. His phone is (715) 568-2612. Give him a call. It's cheap, he's a really friendly guy (a former football coach) and he may be able to help.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

6. wylekiot

wylekiot TS Member

Another vote for Van's Instant Gun Blue. If you follow instructions It works great. The more shinny and polished the metal the better job you will get. I usually use a fine rubbing compound to get a hi polish finish. Also the surface must be absolutely free of wax, oil, grease or other contaminants and finger prints. I have also used Birchwood Casey products, they do very well and are cheaper and available at gunshops and wallymart. good luck Ken

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

send it to Doug Braker and get the Nickel Nitrate, you will never have to worry again and it looks dynamite on a BT

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How much does that Nickel Nitrate job on a BT cost? I have one that is showing some wear but is still tight as all get out.---Matt

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

My fear is that I'll get it re-blued (I've decided to go the professional route) and in about 2 or 3 years it will wear down again because of how I hold the gun while I'm shooting (my left hand is on the bottom of the receiver). Would wearing a glove help fight this? Or is it more of just the contact with another surface rather than the oils from my hand?
    -Trappy

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Trappy----If you get the Nickel Nitrate done to your gun you shouldn't have to get it done ever again. That finish is very tough and very durable. I suspect that its a combination of both contacting the area and the oils from the skin. I think a soft glove would surely cut down the time in which it took to erode your finish though i have no way of backing that up.----Matt

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

How about Nickel Nitrate compared to Cyanide Hardening, or Bone and Charcoal Case Hardening?
    -Trappy

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take the instant blue and apply it with a pad of 0000 steel wool. You will be suprised when you see how good it comes out. HMB

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trappy- If you wore the bluing once with your hand, you will do it again unless you use a glove. Case hardening (Cyanide, bone or one of the other types) will also wear and there are few who do it and even fewer who can do it correctly. Improper case hardening can quickly make a gun unsafe to shoot. It is done in a furnace.

Pat Ireland

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Trappy, I had both my guns plated by Tony DeSimone. Tony did all the prep work and did a beautiful job. I don't know where he sent it for plating. It is more grey than silver and is a silicon based metalic plate.

I really like the finish and it is very hard. If I had to do it again I would try the latest ceramic coat. Do a search here as it has been discussed before. I don't know exactly what the cost for just doing the receiver as Tony did both my MX8 and my MX15. I had him do three trigger frames and both forend irons, as well.
    I would suggest that you have your forend iron done.

15. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Call Robert Burton at Shade Tree Gun Shop; you do not want that stinking cold blue on your hands.His number is 806-894-3570.

BK

16. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Pat, do you know anyone who does it well? I sent emails to a few places looking for quotes, but I don't remember the names.
    -Trappy

17. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Anyone know of Houser's Gunsmithing? He quoted me $350 for the case hardening.
    -Trappy

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Trappy if you dont mind a medium flat black The GUN COAT works very good. It is a do it your self bake on. You spray it on like a spray paint and then put on oven.I do bolt handles and they dont wear off. Look up Brownells Gun CoatOh they do have other colors. I just use black. Its about $30 for a can but it works

20. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Trappy,

It's not the oils from your hand, rather, the acids. I suppose you could change your diet (I know, I know -- bad word) somehow to reduce the acidity of your sweat, but a sure-fire way to help the finish last longer is to wear gloves or a glove. The next best thing is to wipe your receiver down with an oily rag whenever you think about it and especially when you are done for the day. Even doing this, you will still get the wear on the trigger guard, and the bottom and edges of your receiver, caused by friction. There's not much you can do about this, but the gloves are the best all-around cure.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun bluing kit nickels charcoal