1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holo Sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Holoed, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holoed

Holoed TS Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Are there any rules prohibiting the use of Holo Sights for trap shooting? I've
    just taken up the sport and enjoy it very much. My reason for asking is that
    I've used them on my hand guns for target, and my on hunting rifles with great
    sucess. I can't seem to find anything on the internet on this topic. Surely I'm
    not the first one to try it. Any help would be great.
    Thanks. Ed.
  2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Believe that they are legal.......if you can really use it.....I've seen one ...once.
  3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2007
    there are no equipment restrictions on ATA shooting, only ammunition restrictions. My advice is to mount your holographic sight on your shotgun and come out and shoot. But I will tell you that I do not believe it will help give a shooter an edge - so why bother.

Remember that shotguns are pointed and not aimed and unlike pistol targets (pins, plates, etc) clay targets move. Clay target shooters and wing shooters will tell you over and over to just look at what you are trying to shoot and never look back at the gun. we all take great pains to set up our guns so they shoot where we look so I don't see any advantage to the optics. But I could be totally wrong, I never tried one on a shotgun. My experience is limited to using an Aimpoint on a .45 Colt. I did not like it for pin shooting. I have seen a couple of those holographic sights on the practice fields - neither of them shot very well at all so that was not much of a sales pitch. Perhaps if I saw Kay Ohye shooting one I would give it consideration.

My other thoughts are about durability. In registered ATA, we have 500 bird marathons and many daily shoot programs are 400 targets 200 singles, 100 handicap and 50 pair of doubles). On three day shoots we will shoot at 1,000 or more. Can these things take that kind of pounding (optics and mounts)?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hand gun holo sights

holosight clay shooting