1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollywood seem absent lately....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by bigdogtx, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

In case anyone is questioning it, celebrities are terribly concerned about the Gulf of Mexico. Actor Sean Penn has said he "cares about New Orleans." Actor Brad Pitt has spent days in the region assisting with relief efforts. And Jamie Foxx has raised more than half a million dollars to help those living in the area put their lives back together.

Oh, wait: That was in 2005, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - when George W. Bush was President.

Back then we saw A-listers come out in droves to shout about the man in charge, draw attention to the need for assistance and help marshal resources in the relief effort.

Angelina Jolie, who has often mentioned her love of New Orleans in interviews, sent letters to members of Congress and the White House. Penn visited the wreckage on a tugboat, with a shotgun (photographer in tow). John Travolta personally flew supplies to the area on his private jet, while dozens of more famous faces donated to and participated in a nationally aired telethon.

Now that the gulf faces a crisis that's poised to be potentially worse down the road for the region, Hollywood celebrities are not only absent from the area - they are practically silent. Unlike after the earthquake in Haiti in January, there hasn't been an overwhelming response of donations, large-scale fund-raisers, contribution-driven Web sites and hotlines or public service announcements encouraging Americans to do all they can to help out the fishermen or the oil-drenched ducks.

Not because celebrities don't want the media attention, but because their guy, Barack Obama, is in the middle of the mess.

On Sunday, at the MTV Movie Awards, which are famous for their red-carpet political talk, you never would have known that the country was being hit by arguably the largest environmental disaster in its history - because any mention would have reminded viewers that the horror movie is still happening and Obama is still playing the role of supporting actor.

At a benefit concert in 2005, Kanye West proclaimed that Bush doesn't care about black people.

If that logic is correct, I guess Obama doesn't care about pelicans. Or fishermen.

It doesn't take much to stretch your mind to imagine the scene if this disaster were happening under Bush's watch. We'd see a concerned George Clooney, standing arms akimbo, surveying the damage, giving thoughtful nods (with a beard, of course, because he's on an expedition) and talking about how we need to move away from fossil fuels as quickly as possible. In the background, we'd see Alicia Silverstone scrubbing off ducks with Dawn, reminding us all about the inseparability between animals and the environment on a federal level.

Because it's not Bush, we hear bupkis. (For the record, I called the offices of celebrities. Penn has no plans to visit the gulf this time around; Jolie's and Clooney's offices didn't return my calls.)

A handful of notables have stepped up, but they have done so with little fanfare. Lenny Kravitz and Mos Def held a small-scale benefit concert in May, and Pamela Anderson said she is "working with" the International Bird Rescue Research Center. But as Hollywood political activists go, these are C-listers - and they are hardly trying.

Remember how quick Tinseltown was to blast Bush for his response? The stars said nothing about the current President's lag time on the leak. And it's not as though the public isn't concerned about the White House's reaction; 69% of those surveyed in an ABC News-Washington Post poll conducted June 3-6 rated the federal response to the Deepwater Horizon spill negatively - a higher percentage than faulted the response in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina...

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

As a group, their hypocrisy is only slightly more obvious than their phoniness.

Kit Thomas

3. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Blaming B.O. is silly, unless you have proprietary knowledge, you need to stay out of the way.

4. bigdogtx

not quite silly,,,,you just to open your eyes as it is right in front of your face,,,,his dithering on the Gulf situation is so fing WRONG so therefore much of the blame rests on his head....

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

your right...it won't have any effect on there lilly white lives. It was just a day for them to find something to do.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yesterday I saw a boom manufacturer who has thousands up9on thousands of feet of boom made up, seems the gov won't approve his product, and he has a wallop of raw material ready to make more.

Dither........Dither......Dither....

Holland, with the worlds highest expertise in spill containment and cleanup, has offered all the resources at their disposal for our use in this catastrophe.

Dither........Dither......Dither....

Ummmmmm...........No thanks, Holland, you stay home.

Talk about a deer in the headlights, wow.

Anyone in the Gulf states voting Obama or Democrat will probably be lynched if anyone finds out.

HM

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Hey bigdogtx......I have a question for you. If Hollywood seems absent, where are the Republicans?????????????????

blade819

8. bigdogtx

Blade,,,,several have offered help, a couple are mentioned in halfmile's post,,,,Don't know if they are Republicans of democrats,,,,really doesn't make a difference which party they belong to in my mind,,,,does it in yours????

This is an American problem and Americans and others are offering help yet getting turned down by the current admin in DC,,,,btw, I think the administration's party is....well you can figure it out...

9. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Blade: Halfmile 's a closet liberal , so it hard to figure who or what He's talkin about. Dither... Dither How's it goin Union Brother Halfmile.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Republicans are living the disaster in LA, AL and MS...

Jay

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"The most transparent administration ever!" Lord Soetoro

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

bigdogtx.... thank you for your sensible answer. You are right, it's OUR problem. However, I see a striking absence of the Republican Leadership concerning the oil spill much contrary to the visbility that they usually have on other issues. This is the time to step up and offer their opinions/recommendations. We don't need to throw out blame to any politician or political party. My mother-in-law has a beach house west of Panama City and I don't really want to spend my next visit down there to scoop up tar balls. Also, I like to eat shrimp and Apalachacola Oysters.

13. bigdogtx

blade,,,,something is amiss, I agree,,,,couple of possibilities: MSM is not giving them any press time; their ideas are being shot down by the admin,,,,I pray they are not playing politics with our coast,,,,it they are there will be HELL to pay in November and of course America loses in the end....

I just get real tired of the press and the libs screaming when they don't like the leadership,,,,yet remain terribly silent when their guy is in office....

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jim, my closet is about the size of your house (trailer) and there are no libersls in it.

Did your father cry?

HM

15. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Union Brother Halfmile: Join the list of stupid conservatives who hid their true agenda Rush Limbaugh {painkiller/pill taker}, Larry Craig{******},Halfmile{Liberal Union Retd.158 IBEW Wisconsin}.And the list goes on of TRUE Repugs. Have a nice day Bro. BTW Being a gate guard you should be used to small places.

16. bigdogtx

jimmie,,,,you seem to be obsessed with Larry Craig,,,,is he YOUR buddy or something????

17. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

No I think he's standing behind you on a lot of your issues.Have a nice day BigDog . BTW What Union do you belong too?

18. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Rimfingeridiot needs to be disconnected from here. Never a shooting related post. He is nothing but a trouble instigator.

19. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

What's your latest shooting related post Paladum? I don't see many coming from you,or none from Bigdog tx

20. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

If you have even one brain cell working, use the search feature,,Rimfingeridiot.. Leave.. Go hang out at some liberalidiotsdotcom site, where you will be completely at home.. Liberal plants/trolls like you are a detriment to this site, and should be disconnected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.