1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holly Babbitt Batman!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lither, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lither

Lither TS Member

I made about 300# of ingots last night, and in the buckets of weights were some of the real large truck weights. I diluted them a couple at a time into my smelting pot that olds about 50 # of molten lead.

When made shot with them later, I wuld put in and ingot ( muffin pan) and on top of the ladle would be a copper or bronze colored film? Is this from the babbitt in the truck weights?

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

More than likely -- did the lead flow through the drippers at the same rate as usual ? -- I have had problems to the point where the lead would either not drip or I had to continully tap the laddle to make it flow -- the shot came out larger in diameter as well -- I have a bucket full of ingots that I am going to remelt and add into good lead at a diluted rate -- even when I have done this I have noticed that the lead does not flow as well as the lead without Babbit in it

4. Lither

Lither TS Member

my shot looked fine as far as roundness, but it was all different sizes, from 7 to 9. I guess that will get used at the gravel pit shoots!

I also had to tap the lade more than normal and it seemed I couldn't keep up with the lead in the ladle, the babbitt must raise the melting point of the lead.

5. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I don't believe Babbit has any effect on the melting temp. -- but from I have been told the copper causes the lead to stick to the steel and the higher the copper content the more problem -- also causing the lack of uniformity in the diameter of the shot -- you actually want a keep a higher temp. in your ladle by not overloading the ladle with lead -- this helps for better shot

6. Lither

Lither TS Member

Holy Babbitt Batman!!!

I wasn't overloading, I could barely keep enough ladle to keep the level above the dripper openings.

I am going to remelt and dilute out the rest of the ingots into my next smelt.

How do you clean out the drippers? just heat with a torch or do ou have to use a torch tip cleaner on them or what?

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

lither the babbit will make the lead stick to everything if you can keep fluxing will help till you get rid of it shot size will vary the cleaning of the drippers will be needed after that get as much lead out of pan or tip front up and get lead away from drippers let cool take a propane torch and heat one dripper at a time and remove use only a 12pt box end on the dripper side[outside] heat the dripper to a dull red and tap on a wood block drip hole up and that should get about all lead out of the dripper the tip cleaner will work but dont get rough or you may damage the hole a 22 cal cleaning brush works for inside the end wont get to drip hole inside so you wont damage inside blow out with air and if you get the mold release spry the outside of drippers before you install will make them a lot easier to get out next time dont get in drip hole or check to make sure it is clear rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.