1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Inn, Sparta- SOLD OUT WEEK OF GRAND

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by blazer1, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

0   0   0

Spoke with the General Manager of the Holiday Inn, Sparta yesterday and he informed me that the Hotel is sold out the during the entire dates of the Grand American weeks to an Electrical Contracting Company? And only a couple of rooms were available but the ATA reserved them!!!!

FYI, the first day to reserve rooms were yesterday at high noon and I called at 12:00 and 05 seconds.

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I'm not sure why you would want to stay there in the first place.

A group of us stayed there a couple of years ago (three years ago I think), and had no problems. Reserved on-line and the rate for the Grand was no different than the rate any other time of the year.

They got a new manager after that, and he made a deal with one of the construction companies working on the new power plant north of Sparta. I spoke with him on the phone and I recall that he was able to get them to sign a contract to take 50 rooms a night for something like 3 years. They have 57 regular rooms and 17 suites, so there were very few rooms available after the 50 that were contracted out. The new manager also came up with a lottery system for rooms. The rate went to $140 a night, you had to stay at least 7 nights, and you had to pay in full in advance (I think he had the lottery in February and that'w when you had to pay). There were no refunds if cancelled, no matter how far in advance.

I perceived this to be just a bit over the top, so I contacted HI corporate. I knew what they were going to say - and they did - it's a franchise and the hotel owner/manager can do whatever he wants. I also contacted the Sparta Chamber of Commerce (the HI is a member). They were concerned and let me know it would be discussed at their next meeting, but ultimately they let me know that there was nothing they could do (which I also expected). Also, some people think Sparta pledged a no-gouging policy as part of the Grand. That is not true, they asked merchants to agree to a no-gouging policy, but it was purely voluntary.

I let the people at the Sparta C of C know that me and my group would not be spending any money in Sparta during our stay at the Grand. We didn't patronize the WalMart, we didn't eat in any restaurants in Sparta, and didn't buy any gas in Sparta.

Before anyone responds that this doesn't do any good, or wants to mock me for "teaching them a lesson", that wasn't why my group did it. We all knew the HI would be full, no matter how many of us decided to stay somewhere else. It's about a personal decision not to support businesses who want to take advantage of me.

Scott

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

Scott,
    I'd bet they will never miss you, thats the way it goes when big business comes to town ... Please explain to me what WalMart did to you and remember if Wal Mart don't have it, you probably won't need it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. scott calhoun

0   0   0

Bill -

Take a breath and read slowly. Never said Walmart did anything to me, just said I wasn't shopping in Sparta. I also indicated they wouldn't miss me and I understood that other would fill the hotel if I didn't.

The reason we patronized the Sparta businesses is because that is where we were staying. Gas station next door, restaurant down the street, WalMart across the street. That still happens, but it happens in a different location.

Scott

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

Scott,

Good plan, go with it ... If you only deal with people or a business who treat you like a prefered customer you will save a bunch of money, thats not the way it goes now days ... The Holiday Inn is doing what any good business would do in the same situation ... You and all those who will be with you will only be there for what is considered very little time and the business overhead goes on every day not just the days you and your crew are in town ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Scott--I hate that the HI has done that. Please don't let their lack of caring about the shooters reflect the local communties actual appreciation to all who visit our area. Most in the area would bend over backwards to help. The HI is not how we like to treat our guests to our town. Unfortunately WPT is right. Thats how Big Buisness operate. They know that once the Power Plant work is done, the shooters will fill it. Its a shame they only care about the dollar and not the person.

WPT(Bill)--Will this be the year you revisit the area and shoot the Grand?

Matt

7. scott calhoun

0   0   0

Matt -

I know that most people in that area are not that way. I grew up in rural southern Illnois so I know first-hand how people in that area treat guests.

My point was that when a business does something like this it tends to affect the rest of the businesses in the town, especially when it's a hotel. Since I'm not staying in Sparta, I have no reason to come into town. My hotel is north of Sparta and has all the needed amenities around it, so it would be out of the way to go to Sparta for anything. That's just the collateral damage caused by the Holiday Inn.

Scott

8. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

0   0   0

Scott..I felt the same way when the Grand was in Vandalia..The Holiday Inn in Englewood OH. had about the same BS..You had to book for a week..Higher rate because of the Special Event in town..Never stayed there ..I bet they are not booked up any more..Life changes..I'm with you on this one.A lot of other motels followed suite with higher rates..
    Lot's of nice places in O'Fallon IL.

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

0   0   0

Peter

How are you going to cool that big tent in August?

ed.

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

0   0   0

You might want to check to see if the ATA has a big block of rooms for their staff.

FRedmon

11. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

0   0   0

Pete,

It's alright for you young whiper snappers some of us old Farts need Air conditioning and a comfortable bed, we are not all as young and hardy as you are.

We have just booked our flights today for the annual pilgrimage, we are shooting both the Grand and The Cardinal Classic the week after before heading back over the big pond.

Look forward to buying you supper at "Pistol City".

Keep well and safe and see you in about 6 months.

"Release Trigger" AKA. Gary..........Downunder.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

Matt,

Unfortunately I have plans all ready in place for the dates of the Grand and prelim week, so the answer to your question would be no ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. bgf

bgf Active Member

0   0   0

Hay folks,

Do you really think that this situation is favored for ATA shooters only? Please spare me your angst.

Try and get a room in LV for the Shot Show? How about the NRA show close to the event?

The list is quite long!!!!!

You SPECIAL people need to get a life...duh.

Bernie

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

0   0   0

We stay at the Mainstreet Inn and the owner was offered the same deal. She has power plant workers stay there all year but during the Grand and the Threshermen Convention, the workers hit the road, that was the deal coming in and they know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.