1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Inn Sparta - Grand reservation info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott calhoun, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

A friend of mine contacted the Holiday Inn in Sparta recently to inquire about reservations for the Grand. The Holiday Inn website has been showing no availability for the dates of the Grand since last August.

For 2009 they are not taking reservations via the Holiday Inn website. Instead you must contact the hotel via email (spartahiexpress@hotmail.com or garrettp714@live.com, General Manager Garrett Petty) and request them to email you a form that will be used to request a room for the 2009 Grand. Once you recieve the form you must complete it and send it back to be considered for a room.

Room rates are $140 per night for a regular room, and there is a 4 night minimum stay. They will be reviewing all submissions in January and will contact everyone who will receive a room. You must pay for your entire reservation in advance, including sales tax (11%). The cancellation policy for the Grand requires a 30 day notice of cancellation, otherwise you forfeit your entire prepaid amount. You may only request a reservation for one room.

Scott

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I made online reservations last September for 3 nights, thought I got lucky, maybe I should check with the motel. Rate was 127.00, no prepay. Thanks.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I will sleep in the car before I would stay there.

Talk about over charging.Right after it opened,the wife and I was at the Grand.

Where we stayed we could only get four nights.
    We checked out and we went there to see if they would by chance have a room.
    Their answer yes we have one room for two nights and one room for tonight due to an early check out.Price $180.00 per night plus tax.
    I would guess the rooms were already paid up and due to some reason the people in them had to leave early.

Thanks Holiday INN,but no thanks.

There are several other places to stay at less than half price.
    If someone needs pho# of these places send me a PM.

Bo

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They charge more because the only time they have any guests is when the Grand is in town ... Its called supply and demand so what would anyone expect but to pay more to have the experience of a lifetime staying in downtown Sparta, Ill home of the Blues Fest ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Don S

Don S Member

WPT

You are losing touch. Blues Fest was in Evansville, IL last year.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Talk about over charging."

Hey, it's their hotel. If you wanted to rent out a room in your house you could charge whatever you wanted. Some people would think it too much, others wouldn't.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

DonS,

According to the Plainlander or what ever it is, the local news paper from Sparta, they had a Blues Fest in Sparta last year and do every year ... I like to read the local paper because its like one big (little ) comic strip with all of the locals as the stars ... I have been there before the building of the WSC but won't be going back if I can help it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

MDJ67,
    Last years attendence for Sparta was down 18% minimum. That was due largely to gas and shell/ lead prices. Sparta is by no means a guaranteed success. Factor in this years piss poor economy, the unemployment nearing double digits, Holiday Inn with what is clearly a screw job for anyone willing to do business with them, not to mention the "small cross section" of comments from happy Holiday Inn customers listed above..... Holiday Inn might want to rethink their policies and become a little more customer friendly with regards to their reservation rules. The "you won't be missed comment", well maybe we won't be missed, but when enough folks find out it can have the desired effect. (11% tax.....you got to be kidding.)

Need to move back to Ohio to Cardinal Center. Tons of restaurants, motels and low taxes. (Not to mention better weather) With all the motels in the area it keeps that gouging crap to a minimum. (most under $100.00 per night, no minimum stay requirements)

See ya'll in Sparta...NOT at the Holiday Inn,

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Sounds like going to Sturgis for Bike Week. Screw em' I won't be staying at
    any Holiday Inn.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

These are the same people who said they would not gouge the trapshooters. Like a lot of others, and I am a frequent Holiday Inn stayer, However I don't trust any of them. Most of the chain motels are independently owned no matter what name appears on the sign out front.

11. scott calhoun

Mike -These are not the same people who said they would not gouge. The manager at the HI in Sparta is relatively new. It is independently owned and the owners/managers have complete discretion when it comes to rates/rules.

Daddiooo - Sorry to burst your bubble, but the taxes in the Marengo/Columbus area are not any lower (in fact they are higher). Mt. Vernon (east of Margengo) is lowest at 10 percent hotel tax, while Sunbury to the west is at 13.25 percent. If you go south toward Columbus hotel taxes in that area range from 12.1 percent all the way up to 16.75 percent. Where should we go now?

Scott

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

As an Illinois resident, I would hope that this year would be the end of the decline in attendance at the Grand. I seem to remember that attendance declined fron '06 to '07, and it declined even more from '07 to '08. Not trying to be too off topic, but will there be more venders in tent row this year than last year?

13. daddiooo

Scott,

I stand corrected. Didn't know the tax rates were that bad in Ohio. Oh well, we're gonna spend it somewhere! The only place left to go is the camp ground, and that ain't free either!

All good.

Dave

14. vdt

vdt Active Member

i drove 13 hrs to Sparta,never again ,walked vendors row from one end to other could have headed home in a hour after getting there.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just think of all the money we'll save if we do not attend the Grand (or for that matter, state's zone's, etc.), then our families can fill our caskets with all that cash we didn't spend.

Curt

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sparta is a super facility and worth the effort to get there.

However, the ATA should consider adding an AAA class for singles and doubles and a Master Class for 27 yard shooters for the really large shoots. 50+ shooters running 200 in AA is a bit much.

Also, shooting a 100 per field format would allow the shootoffs to get started way before dark.

17. scott calhoun

Victor -

If it had taken two hours to walk vendor row, would that have made it worth the drive? What was missing?

As many big shoots as I attend, I've found that there isn't really much attraction in walking vendor row at any of them. Same vendors at all the big shoots, selling the same stuff. How many Storm jackets, hull pouches, or cleaning tools do I need? Vendor row is great for people who never go to big shoots, or just want to go someplace once a year so they can shop. For others it just a place to kill time between events.

Did you notice that they were throwing targets and conducting a trapshoot while you were there?

Scott

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

MDJ67,

I got a life, maybe thats what you need if you think the local news paper in Sparta is really a NEWs paper and not a comic strip ... I was actually told by one person that I was missed but you probably know better, and probably don't even know me ... There are a few things to tell you but instead I'll just say "Happy New Year" instead ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. daddiooo

Curt,

If I don't spend all that cash now...... my family is liable to put a check in the casket with me. (probably a bad one a that) LOL

Dave

20. tdaws1032

tdaws1032 TS Member

If anyone wants a nice room and doesn't mind driving 30 minutes, I would suggest staying at Super 8 in Waterloo. All of their rooms are clean and modern (only been open about 5 yrs.) and if you reserve early you may get a suite. Rooms range from $65-$100 a night.

Give them a call because they are booked early.

(618) 939- 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.