1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Inn Express - Sparta, IL.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BIGDON, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you call the local Sparta Chamber of Commerce. They seem to take a major interest in what happens to shooters and their community.

Don

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Skeet -

I don't recall any comments on here previously about the HIE in Sparta doing a bait-and-switch on rates, but that's just my recollection.

I'd take a wild guess and say that when you signed the check-in form it had the higher rate and you probably didn't notice it, and therefore they feel you are obligated to pay it. I think technically they are correct, but if you have a reservation confirmation with a rate on it, they should honor it.

You can take Don's advice and contact the C of C - but I wouldn't bet on it getting you anywhere. I contacted them at the beginning of this year when the HIE announced their rates/reservation policy for the Grand. HIE is a member of the chamber, and my email was more or less to ask them if they condoned one of their members gouging customers (and yes, I'm fully aware that any business can charge any rate they desire). I did receive a very nice response telling me that they were interested in my comments and that they would distribute my email to the directors of the C of C and have further discussions. They said they would get back to me at a later day. That was in February and I haven't heard back from them.

I don't expect the C of C to do anything - that wasn't why I sent the email. It was mostly to make them aware of how a business in town can essentially run people out of town, thus impacting all of the businesses in town. My group of five last year ate all of our meals in Sparta, shopped at the Walmart, bought gas at the gas station, etc.

The HIE has a new general manager who came in sometime prior to last year's Grand I believe. He seems like someone who is interested in maximizing his revenue in a short period of time. Something else to keep in mind is that he told me late in 2008 that the reason they were not taking Grand reservations at that time is that he was negotiating a contract with a construction company to rent 50 rooms per night for a 2 or 3 year period - workers for the big coal/power plant they are building north of Sparta. He couldn't take reservations for the Grand until he knew how many rooms he would have available. I can only imagine what a room in that hotel would look like after 12 to 18 months of having people essentially living in the hotel. Living in a hotel vs. staying in a hotel are quite different things.

Anyway - the email address for the Sparta C of C is spartacc@spartaillinois.us

Scott

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

The first time when I went to Sparta I stayed at a Super 8. I had booked on-line and when I checked in the motel would not honor my quoted price. I paid the bill and when I got home I called the credit card company to stop payment. In short, after 2 or 3 months I received a check from Super 8 for $160.00. You could try that option. Good luck!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try the C of C and see if they signed a pledge agreement to not gouge the shooters like many other places did, and they did anyway (not sure it existed when those got signed) ... Them folks have to make hay while the sun shines and the Grand American is harvest time ... Imagine what it costs to keep that place open all year just so they can be there when you need them and then you complain ... You should shame yourself for having such thoughts let alone posting them on here ... Rent a motorhome and camp in WalMarts parking lot, then send them a bill for security services ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glad it worked out for you, but do not forget it the next time and always expect the unexpected when dealing with them big Corporations ... Take dates,confirmation numbers with you, and get names maybe then you will have a fighting chance ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.