1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holes in Safe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of holes in the floor of my safe that were used for shipping. The floor is carpeted. How do I find the holes so I can install a safe dehumidifier (goldenrod)? Hopefully the holes are big enough for the plug to feed thru.

Thanks for any help...

cap

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My safe did have some holes in the bottom designed to allow me to bolt the safe to the floor. I found them by feeling the carpet on the safe floor. My safe it not designed to allow an electrical cord to pass through the holes. The weight of the safe would damage the insulation. If both the hot and ground wire were damaged, it would blow a breaker. But if only the hot wire were damaged, it could make the steel safe less than safe.

Pat Ireland

3. cle

cle Member

Typically the hole intended for a moisture prevention device is in the BACK of the safe, one, two, three inches from the back bottom edge. It should have a temporary rubber/plastic plug in it. Also, and again typically, lower cost safes often do not have this feature.

Any kind of low energy heater will work to drive out the moisture...even a low wattage light bulb. Be VERY CAREFUL about overheating the inside of the safe and creating a fire hazard.

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

My safe (A Fort Knox) came with a golden rod included but the plug was not attached. After feeding the wire thru the approx. 3/8" hole on the back wall, the plug could be installed. Heck, Good opportunity to check it. Been in there for about ten years and it's still working just like it's designed to.

Worthy investment!!

Big Jack

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

cle is correct. Hole for dehumidifier should be in back or side. Holes in bottom are for mounting to concrete if desired.

6. psfive

psfive Member

One up for the Goldenrod.

Just like the Ever Ready battery bunny it keeps going and going. The "heater" hole in my safe is several inches up from the bottom in the lower right corner.
    It also had four holes in the bottom for anchoring to the floor. Paul in Nebraska.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Mine is a Cannon, and there was a hole in the back. It had a plastic plug in it, pop out the plug and install a electric cord for lite's or other needed items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.