1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

holes in 7/8 ounce patterns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Just starting shooting 7/8 ounce 12 guage full choke and went to the patterning board. Was very surprised to find big holes in pattern. Am using green dot and rem.tgt 12s wads. What do you think is cause. Thanks Jean

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

It probably ain't the shells. Most likely the choke! What choke you using? But, you might also want to change to Clays powder and windjammer wads! Who knows?

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's not nearly enough information Jean. Hap

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Green Dot and TGT-12 wads.

Green Dot is too slow for 7/8oz loads. Use a fast powder, even if you are shooting for 1400fps. The absolute slowest powder I'd use is Int Clays. I'd really use e3.

The TGT-12 wad is superb for 1oz loads. The shot cup is too deep for 7/8oz loads and folds over when you crimp the shell. That messes things up. Try this as an experiment. Drop a 1/8" thick cork 20ga wad in the TGT-12 BEFORE you drop your shot. It will take up the extra room, crimp beautifully, and pattern beautifully, assuming your barrel is up to the task.

So now you have a beautiful load that is expensive and a pain in the neck to load. Been there, done that. Assuming you are using an STS hull, try the Federal 12S0 wad for 7/8oz. Superb chrono results, consistency, and pattern. If you want ast loads, the DRM pink XXL may work. I don't like it at 1200fps, but I'm told it comes into its own above 1250fps.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A fast powder and a TGT12 wads work great. Win AA Plus, Win 209, TGT12 wad in a AA or STS hull. HMB

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

One of the causes, Jean, is that there are fewer pellets. At forty yards every pattern looks "ify" in a lot of places, but at 34 yards (a place to test singles patterns) it should sneak by, at least visually, which is really no way to test patterns either. You might want to try eight-and-a-halfs to cut down on the holes anyway.

Of course, you could just use one ounce instead and quit worrying about it.

Neil

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sounds like someone's a few pellets short of a full load.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Alliant's site only lists one load for the components used above.

22 grains of GD and the TGT12 wad at 1300 FPS. Maybe the "cause" may have been the load was patterned way too far out with 7-1/2s. Hap

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have loaded 7/8 oz loads for well over 20 years. Here is the best & easiest I have found. Use a taper hull such as AA & STS. Match primer mfg. to hull mfg,ie Rem-Rem Win-Win. Best powder is Clays. Use 16.3 to 16.5. Use a 7/8 wad. Just get the AA gray wad. I prefer 8 or 8 1/2 for 16's & 9 for skeet. I have patterned this load in many guns & never had a problem. My chrono shows rite at 1200 fps. DO NOT use more powder,you don't really need it unless shooting bunker. You can use the same amount of Red Dot but it gives more recoil. Spend a few $$$ & buy a bag of wads & a couple 100 of the rite primer & ask around the club to borrow a few oz of Clays if you don't have any. This load is one of my very favorite & great for kids.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Earl,

What dimension do you reside in? HMB

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Downrange Mfg. have a nice 7/8oz. wad - works great!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Choke the barrel tighter. Go to 8.5's on the 16.

13. Neil Winston

OK, I plan to be in Tucson well before the Spring Grand and if there is decent weather, I'll pattern some 7/8 oz. loads.

When I tested zzt's wad warning I made up some extra and they have either AA Grey or 12SO wads. I plan to shoot from 34 yards. What choke should I use? What I don't want is a response after it's all done "You used the wrong choke; if you had used Kahuna-Joe's 7/8 Ounce special, it would have turned out right."

Your choices are full, IM, and modified. That means, by mutual agreement starting now: over 30, between 25 and 30, and under 25 for the purposes of this test.

While we're at it, what do you predict? My prediction, based on no data at all, is that the probability of hitting a target - using 8's - with a single pellet will be no higher than 96% in any area as calculated by the program Shotgun-insight. With 8 1/2's maybe 98, which is acceptable - if you don't plan on winning.

Neil

14. Hap MecTweaks

Geesh, where'd everyone go? This will be interesting to see! :) Hap

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Neil, use IM and Full for your tests. In the past I've used 7/8 oz of #8 through an IM choke. Now I'm using 7/8 oz of #7 1/2 through a Full choke. Both loaded to 1200 fps with Winchester components and e3 powder. I can't remember the breaks with the first load/choke combo, but the current combo hits targets suprisingly hard at the 16.

~Michael

16. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

N. Winston: "You might want to try eight-and-a-halfs to cut down on the holes anyway". I haven't been able to download "Shotgun-Insight" yet. Will it predict the number of pellets of 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 & 9s required to break a target at various shot velocities and distances? Thanks, Earl Hamman

17. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

i load 15-20 k 7/8 oz shells/year , shot mainly in practice from 16 to 23 yds , on a mec 9000g sts green/gun club hulls , 32 bushing of clays/clay dot ,claybuster grey clone , and noble-sport primers , 7 1/2 shot , using 3 trap guns , 90-t 35 , ks5 41 , xt combo bottom barrel 35 ; chronos 1200-1250;this load just destroys targets (ink balls)

18. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

I have been testing 7/8 oz loads trying for a speed of 1200fps. I am now using Winchester primers with a 16.5 drop of clays. In AA Hulls I rate the WAA12L Clone from claybuster the best followed closly by the so12 Federal Clone, from the 16 the downrange XXL seemed to hold the pattern very tight they might be better from farther back. When I switched to Remington hulls SO12 clone gave me better hits and patterning, followed closly by the WAA12L. They are great practice loads and some better shooters then I can shoot them competitively but they don't hit like a 1 1/8.

19. Neil Winston

One, Earl.

Neil

20. otnot

otnot Active Member

7/8 loads are fine for 16 yard practice. But if you have money on the line you had better be shooting all that you can. The more bb's in the air the better. I have patterned 7/8 loads at 40 and 50 yards and at that range your shooting by a wish and a prayer. Even 1 oz 8's are pretty thin at 50 yards. The patterns are just too thin to be effective for a 100 bird event. I will stick to my 3 dram 11/8 8's for handicap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.