1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hole in the center of the crimp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

I am loading on on old Ponsness Warren 900 and some shells that come through have the little hole. Its not big enough to lose shot, but I can't figure out how to adjust it out.

Any help??

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

2. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Dave,Try lowering the starter crimp a tad.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dave, Ive had the same problem with these AAs. I also load on a 900 P/W. I never could lower the crimp starter enough. It would hit the die. I just load STS hulls now and the problem went away.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I get a few of these also loading on a mec even with STS shells. If it only happens once in a while then its probably more of the shell than any thing else. If you took a caliper and measured alot of fired shells you will find some are shorter and longer. not much but a tad. Im sure you must get a shell once in a while that has a swirled crimp. For what ever reason The Nitro sporting clays shells in my loader give me a hard time more than others. From tight primer pockets to inconsistant crimps. Just becouse I changed to 6 point crimp starter and have been loading the 6 point remington game load shells (black) I get really good crimps from that.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I get a few of these also loading on a mec even with STS shells. If it only happens once in a while then its probably more of the shell than any thing else. If you took a caliper and measured alot of fired shells you will find some are shorter and longer. not much but a tad. Im sure you must get a shell once in a while that has a swirled crimp. For what ever reason The Nitro sporting clays shells in my loader give me a hard time more than others. From tight primer pockets to inconsistant crimps. Just becouse I changed to 6 point crimp starter and have been loading the 6 point remington game load shells (black) I get really good crimps from that.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had that problem before with AA for some unknown reason from time to time. I learned to live with it because it would work itself out sooner or later. My answer, if the hole was big enough, was to have a candle close and drop a little wax when I thought it would fix the problem.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I addressed that problem in my 900 by increasing the spring pressure in the final crimper. I turned the adjusting nut on top of the spring down about 10 flats from where it produces good crimps in Remington hulls and that seemed to get rid of the hole.

Morgan

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I had the same problem. Sold my reloader to Lumper!

9. primer

primer TS Member

One drop of Elmers glue.

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

If you are going to use the candle method, let me suggest that you keep the lit candle away from the powder. I had a little incident when I was a kid involving fire and shotgun powder. Black powder is even more exciting. After the shells are loaded, there is not really a problem with the candle and the shells, just with loose powder here and there or am I the only one that sometimes make a mess.

I use a small piece of masking tape on mine.

Mike

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have that problem at times too. I just cut off a match head and stick it in the hole. Makes for a smokin target. Use the strike-anywhere matches and it will lite off when it hits the target.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both the case length and the internal volume of hulls will vary a bit. The function of the crimp is to hold in the shot. If the shot is not falling out through the small hole, the crimp is working.

Pat Ireland

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"The function of the crimp is to hold in the shot. If the shot is not falling out through the small hole, the crimp is working."</I>

Pat, isn't it also true that the "tightness" of the crimp also has an effect on the pressure developed by the powder charge and consequently on the velocity, trajectory and dispersal of the shot charge?

Morgan

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The first response is correct. Lower the starter crimp, that puts more plastic in the crimp area. The crimp die has nothing to do with the hole. Adjust for the average AA, not the shortest ones. Don't adjust for Rem. hulls as they are longer. Once it's adjusted for the average AA the Rem's will all be fine.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Morgan- Resistance provided by the crimp will have a small effect on chamber pressure. The crimp resistance is greatest near the edge of the hull. I doubt if a very small hole in the center of the crimp would have an affect on chamber pressure.

Pat Ireland

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I didn't read all the above, so this may have been addressed:

The hole can be result from several factors:

(1) Seating the wad too deep. I tend to seat the wad higher than most folks and I let the pre-crimp and final-crimp station decide for me the correct height. The top of the wad should never be deeper that the top "ring" of the hull which is the bottom of the shell's crimp - this is to say, about 2 3/4" up from the base of the brass.

(2) I did see above about lowering the pre-crimp... do this is baby steps. The new AA HS hull requires this change.

(3) Your powder charge is very minimal, volume wise. If this is the case, then you will have to live with the result.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.