1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hole in crimp -- AA hulls -- PW 900

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I'm trying to load a 1 oz load into the new style AA hulls using 17.5 grn Clay Dot, the Pink Claybuster WAA12SL wad and #8 shot and I can't find an adjustment that will close the hole in the center of the crimp. It's pellet-size. I've made all my adjustments from my baseline settings which produce perfect crimps on anything Remington in both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz with only a wad ram alteration.

I've tried:
    <blockquote>
    (1) increasing seating pressure on the wad
    (2) both raising and lowering the crimp starter 1/16 inch (not past a 45ยบ angle)
    (3) lowering the crimper 1/8 and 1/4 turn with the crimp starter in both its baseline and altered locations
    (4) increasing the spring tension on the crimper by 1/2 and 1 full turn of the nut
    (5) decreasing the spring tension on the crimper by 1/2 and 1 full turn of the nut.</blockquote>

I'll occasionally get a good crimp but the majority have a hole in the center that ranges from noticeable to #8 shot size. The hulls range from fired once to reloaded twice but are separated by age so all in a batch have seen the same use.

Any ideas??

Mike

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Lower the crimp stater a little at a time until the hole disappears. That squeezes more plastic into the middle.

3. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

It is a lack of space issue. On my Mec Grabber if I did get the hole adjusted out of the crimp the hull would buckle. Try loading 1 oz loads in the Win AA HS hulls with Downrange Manufacturing wads, the DRA-12 Pink and the DR-XL-1 Neon Green wad are shorter than the Win AA 1 oz pink wad. The Win AA 1-1/8 oz white wad reloads better for me in the AA hulls for 1 oz loads than the Win 1 oz pink wads do. The Win AA 1 oz pink wad loads good for 7/8 oz loads in the Win AA hull.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Has this been a "forever" problem or since a component change?? IE different Wad???

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem with the AA hulls in my P/W 900. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to dump every AA hull that I had and to use only STS or Gun Clubs. Problem solved!! Ed

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Lower the crimp stater a little at a time until the hole disappears. That squeezes more plastic into the middle."</blockquote>

I've already had the starter down to the point where the crimp was folded past 45 degrees and I remember a couple of warnings to not go past that point.

<blockquote>"Has this been a "forever" problem or since a component change?? IE different Wad???"</blockquote>

I have 2 formulas that I use to load 1 1/8 oz in the AA hulls; both use the Figure 8 wad but different primers and slightly different powder weights (16.8 grn and 17.3 grn, both Clay Dot). I don't have a bit of trouble with the crimps of these loads. The problem surfaced when I decided to try a 1 oz load and the WAA12SL wad to stretch my shot supply a bit. I looks now like it might be the wad. I'll stooge around and see if I can find a formula that uses the TGT wad. I will also look into using the WAA12 wad for the 1 oz load. I don't have a ready source for either DownRange or Duster wads that doesn't involve shipping costs.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

7. Seitz 719

Seitz 719 TS Member

Mike i load with a 900- 2000 what i have found is the factory sets the wad ram for 1 1/8. when loading 1 ounce you need to adjust the wad ram up 2 to 3 turns plus use a factory wad. this will help you on getting a good crimp. MAC 111.

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Mike i load with a 900- 2000 what i have found is the factory sets the wad ram for 1 1/8. when loading 1 ounce you need to adjust the wad ram up 2 to 3 turns..."</blockquote>

Thanks...I'm familiar with the need to adjust the wad ram when changing shot weights. I also adjust it when changing from one wad to another within a weight class. In fact, the ram is probably the most oft-adjusted thing on my press.

Mike

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Forget about the 45 degree talk and lower the crimp starter. I'll quote the PW owners manual. "If there is a hole in the center of the crimp at the final crimp station, set the Crimp Starter 1/16 inch lower. This will force more plastic or paper towards the center of the crimp and the hole will disappear."
    Nothing about 45 degrees. I set the crimp starter to get a good crimp on AA's and everything else loads fine. I load on a PW Platinum, no holes. Apx 30 degrees

10. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Ditto --- what jerry said ; plus , set a bunch of empty cases on your bench and check for variations in OAL to see if that is possibly contributing to your frustrations .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.