1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

holding tight, or swinging loose?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OK here is where I am going with this.

In 12 (and 20) ga events, which I shoot the most of, I am not conscious of pulling the gun in tight to my shoulder and I have done well but improvement is needed.

In using a 28 Ga, I had dismal 5 stand scores (10-12) vs my normal 18 -21 range, and for fun, 2 rounds of trap, the 1st dismal (14) but the second, after some thought, I pulled in tight and hit 22 with #8 and a full choke

So, I shot a round of skeet (tight pull in) and did very well by even 12 ga norms (22).

So I am wondering what was going on before? I think that I may have moved the lighter gun off course in actuating the trigger, and the heavier 12 masked that effect.

So is this correct theory? comments? What do better trap shooters do?

thanks!

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Better shooters become fluid with whatever style THEY choose.. I was taught to firmly hold the gun.. and be in 100% control of both ends.. If you get sloopy holding the gun... you'll get sloopy shooting the gun.. No.. not a death grip.. just firmly in the pocket.. If you can ammagine a piece of paper flapping out of your grip on the forend..firm enough for no one to grab and snatch the paper.. You'll be about right..

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

____Holding with a strong right hand grip and fairly firm in the shoulder help keep me from arm shooting the target....SMOKIT

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A controlled upper body move is much smoother than a reckless shove or yank on the forearm as you experienced. That type of control works on any kind of game shot or games played with a shotgun!

Hap

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hold my gun very firmly into my shoulder. I also (when I remember) grip the gun rather tight with both my right and left hand. Solid griping of the gun allows me to move the gun only by moving the trunk of my body, not my arms.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.