1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding on opposite corner?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

ANyone use an opposite side hold? For example,

Station 1 would hold on very right hand side of house.

Station 5 would hold on left side by station 1.

This gets the gun out of my field of vision and seems to build in gun speed for sharp angles. I swing to the bird and almost shoot at it while swinging through.

For straight away, you simply make a short move to the bird.

I have been hitting them much sooner this way.

Low gun seems to work too as long as long as I am aggressinve on them.

"Heresy I tell you !"

regards

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL, good luck with that.

-Gary

3. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I second that. Heresy! How dare you try something so unconventional.
    dju

4. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I've shoot well over 500,000 targets that way.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I was taught to hold way above the house and limit the gun movement to as little as possible. Have the gun parallel to the ground. Just nudge the bird and pull the trigger. You might try low gun and pointing the gun at the ground. It sounds like you come from a hunting background. You might try walking up to the speaker as you call for the bird. Then send the dog after it. :) Mark

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Especially if it works! Doesn't take any time to get on the bird hard.

Also broke 48 lowgun which was decent for me, others said " That ain't no good"

Harder to argue with a 25 tho.

No time to think, just an aggressive "put". Seems to work no matter where you hold .

regards

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nora Ross uses that game in her clinics to help students learn to get a good eye lock on the clay before moving the gun to it.

Keller

8. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I coach kids trap and one father who was/formerly was a shooter insisted his son to use this hold point. I teach the more traditional corner and even off that corner to aid view for and swing for hard angles. The reason this opposite technique is used at clinics is to teach that you can get to the bird even with this hold point, meaning you have time to break the target. This father believed it helped him because swing was always in one direction, e.g. left from station 1. What doesnt make sense to me is you could do that same theory at every other position as well if it was an advantage but no one does. Anyway kid was a good shooter but consistently did poor on station 1 and 5 so I cant say I saw the advantage. From what I observed I believe more likely increases chances to block view of bird with your barrel.

9. MW58

MW58 Member

If that is your game plan for stations #1 & #5, then where is your hold point for stations #2, #3 & #4?

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If that is your game plan for stations #1 & #5, then where is your hold point for stations #2, #3 & #4?</i></blockquote>Oh, c'mon now... on #2 Nora has you hold between center and right corner and on #4 it's between center and left corner. On #3 you can pick your own spot as long as it's not in the middle.

Keller

11. coling

coling Member

The opposite corner hold was an exercise during the clinic and not a suggested hold point. She also had you hold where you would break the first bird in doubles and then call for the bird.

The goal was to teach eye movement and gun movement.

I think of this as separating the eye from the gun until you shoot. This is a way to identify aiming and a way to learn to shoot where you look.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.