1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding a high vs low gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rum River, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

I've always held a pretty low gun, watch for the target to appear, follow and shoot as I cross the target. Tonight I had to deal with a Pat trap that was set VERY fast. Had an awful time trying to catch them before they were too far out. As my score was pretty much toast anyway, started holding a high gun. Had OK success for trying it under duress.

Question: You that hold high, do you just "spot" shoot when you see the target above your gun? Or do some follow through and shoot as you cross the target?

I'm sure everyone probably does it somewhat different, and I'm curious.

Dan

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

This could get interesting.

3. Tim

Tim TS Member

This may sound a little strange but I hold a high gun on low targets and a lower gun on higher targets. The reason for this is on the lower targets, my gun movement is less up-and-down and more right-to-left. I can break targets effectively this way no matter handicap or singles. I shoot a high-rib gun so I look down under the barrel for the birds and move the gun accordingly. Now on high targets, expecially on handicap, I may hold down as low as the trap house if they are really high. This forces me to move my gun to the bird and through it in order to break it. It goes against most logic if you think low birds; low gun or high birds; high gun. I learned this at Vandalia during our State and The Grand. Some days, those birds would climb and it is possible to shoot over a high bird. Try it, you may actually discover something!
    Tim Hunsaker

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

pheasantmaster, your right, it already is.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hold the gun in a position that allows you to see the bird leave the house and not move the gun until the bird is above the barrel. I shoot with one eye so for me, a high gun is at the front lip of the house. A low gun is the back edge of the roof. Two eyes shooter can hold the gun higher. The higher the gun is held, the more difficult it becomes to not move the barrel until the bird is above the barrel.

When I see the birds well, it makes little difference if I hold a high or low gun. I shoot well either way. On days when I do not see the birds well, it makes little difference if I hold a high or low gun. I don't hit many with either hold.

Pat Ireland

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Low gun for caps, front edge of trap house. Higher for 16's. It is really what works for you.

Soon the non shooting experts will be here with all kinds of advice. I can hardly wait for the bunker and sporters to chip in.

Don

7. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Tim, yours and my low-gun technique sound the same. Isn't it awkward though, when holding high, to watch for the target appearing UNDER the barrel?

Pat, I too am a one-eye shooter, and it sounds like we both have the same basic approach.

Don, I know it's all what works for a particular person. When I was having the trouble the other night, I was ready to sacrifice a chicken to the Gods of Trap.
    (I'm saving the pigs and cattle for later, the kids will go last.)

Dan

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

My gun hold pretty much mirrors Don's. I hold just at the lip of the trap for handicap (27 yards), and a little higher for singles. There are SO MANY things that will dictate where you hold your gun that it is just a matter of trail and error. Your POI will have a part in it, as will your trigger speed, background, how well you see the target emerge from the house, etc. That is why you will get so many conflicting answers. What works for one shooter may, or may not, work for another. The technique that worked for me was to try several different gun holds and choose the one that worked the best for me most of the time. I continually change my gun hold, depending on target height, speed, background, wind, lighting, etc. It all comes together after many, many hours on the practice trap figuring out what works best for you under all types of conditions... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well, I am a left-handed two eyed shooter and my holds are really really low compared to what some others have said. For high targets I'll hold at the back edge of the roof on the house, and for days with no wind and the birds flying at "regulation" height, I hold maybe 6-8 inches below the back edge of the roof. But while I'm calling for the bird, my eyes are out on the background which is timber 200 yards away at my club. Though maybe the houses at my club are higher in the ground than some others, I guess the height of the house has a role to play in where you hold as well. Josh

10. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I hold my gun so that I have to move it very little to get to the target, I don't just spot shoot it. In singles I hold 2-3' off the roof, in handicap I hold 1- 1 1/2' off the house. In my opinion, it is best to hold where you have move the gun as little as possible, that way there is less room for you to make a mistake.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

jbmOU- I am more concerned with accurately moving the gun than I am with how much I move the gun.

Pat Ireland

12. IM390

IM390 Member

Lee Braun teaches a high aim point for trap. The trick is to be able to compensate for changing conditions. Low aim shooters will often swing past their targets and may shoot too far out in front of them. High aim shoots wait for the targets to catch up, but run into trouble when the targets don't climb the way they are suppose to, so they have to pull the barrel down in order to hit them. Try that sometime that's very hard to lead and swing down.
    I'm a one eyed shooter and find a place somewhere in between, like having my front bead just higher than the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
holding a high gun
holding a high gun when trap shooting
holding high gun trapshooting

is it better to hold a high gun or low gun when shooting trap

low gun hold at trap house pictures
shooting trap low gun
trap high gun hold vs low gun
trap shootingnhigh or low gun