1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold points

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

Do you prefer a high or low hold point while shooting singles and handicap as a two eye shooter? I feel like the wheels have fell off after a long layoff. thanks

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Your question asked what I( or anyone ) prefer for a hold point. It's not easy to answer, it depends for me on target visablity. I find I have to start off with what I usually do and then change if I'm not breaking the targets as I like to break them, nothing is set in stone for me, personally.

Usually, for singles, I hold close to the middle of the house and approx. 2 to 3 feet over the house and look thru and under the gun for anything that moves. I will sometimes go down to approx. 18 inches over the house and look over the gun if the targets are a little hard to see under the gun. I think you have to change if conditions change.

For 27 yd handicap, hold lower usually. A lot of times I am holding on the house or even slightly below the front lid. Learn to read you breaks, if you are breaking the tops off the targets, hold lower, if breaking the bottom of the target harder, then hold higher. If there is ever any doubt of where to hold, hold lower and track the target, never try to spot shoot. You must shoot with a moving gun. I probably hold about a foot over the house most of the time.

Hope this helps. But I can't over state how important learning to read your breaks are to your proper adjustments. Also, stay on the gun for at least one second after the shot.

I hesitate to say this but I feel I must to show some credibility to what I have written. I have a 98+% on the last 2,000 singles and 94% on the last 2,000 27 yard handicap. Senior Vet ATA # 0752730

Disclaimer: I also shoot with some great shooters that hold a level gun and look thru the gun for all events. Experiment, find out what works for you.

Best of luck and enjoy the game.

Tom Strunk

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

At 300k targets, I have had the wheels fall off several times. My way of getting "it" back is: have a low hold and watch for the target over the top of the house, deliberately allow contact with the comb not calling immediately after mounting the gun, track the target if I miss or track a piece if it is broken. Only shoot 16's until I am inking targets.

4. rrose

rrose TS Member

Poppy
    I am 2 eyed shooter and I shoot best when I hold no higher than at the top of the trap house. I was able to go back to a pull trigger and increase my average by doing this. I took a Nora Ross class this April, great class, and she suggested that if I felt like I can see them better that way then I should stay with it. When I hold up a foot I just do not see them as well and my breaks are not as good and then lower scores result.
    Good luck.
    Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hold points for senior trap

trap shooting hold points

two eye trapshooting hold points