1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hold points/singles vs handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Does anybody use significantly different hold points for singles vs handicap? I've always held pretty low, like middle of the roof on all stations but now all spring I've started holding higher, like 1 foot over the front edge and out over the corners on the corner posts....seems to help me more on the hard angle targets than it hurts me on the straightaways (IN SINGLES). But in handicaps (23 yards) the straightaways are KILLING me as I can't seem to read 'em good enuf'?? so I'm going back to holding lower on the middle of the roof to favor the straightaways. Thinking of using the high hold for 16's and the low hold for 'caps. Does anybody else do this? What sort of luck do you have with it?

John C. Saubak

2. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Im not a great shooter but I can give a tip that helps me be a better shooter..
    Normally I hold about 2 feet above the trap house.. On station 3 I hold quite a bit higher.. Not sure why it just seems to work

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Where ever you hold your gun at the 16yd. line, you should never hold any higher for handicap, even at the fence..

You should never hold your gun any higher than half the height of the target..

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Leo says he holds the same for singles and handicaps. The only time he changes his hold is when light conditions change with the sun lower in the sky near dusk.

JMAC

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I asked this very ? of a shooter I respect alot,he is on the Ca.State Team.He said he holds lower on Caps than on singles.He said that he tries to keep a similar gun movement in caps and singles.

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I, too, know a shooter I respect a great deal who holds slightly lower on handicaps. I would be curious to know how Leo changes his hold under low light conditions. Does he hold closer to the house? Martinpicker

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I've been told the same things mentioned above. The current AZ lady's all around state champ tells me to adjust for height so the movement is the same, HCP is lower because the perceived angles are less than on singles. Kiner say's in his DVD class if your not adjusting for changing conditions "your not paying attention". So I take it all are right! I try to follow all this advice, maybe not so well at times. Joe

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

John, you failed to mention that you are a one eyed shooter with the tape patch. Your gun holds sound fine to me. Daro Handy in his book says: Light Up, sights Up; Light Down, Sights Down"; this advice is not really working for me tho.

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Martinpicker

Yes, Leo said that when the sun is not high in the sky, the target begins to get a little more difficult to see clearly and he holds a little lower to give a little more time to focus on the bird.
    JMAC

10. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

I've seen several different hold points when shooting trap, I guess it something you read about and then have to experiment on your own to find your own niche.

Here are some links.
    http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/USAMU6-1/usamu6-1.html
    http://shotgunlife.blogspot.com/2009/04/3-shot-trap-shooting.html
    http://books.google.com/books?id=aY7FZ9qqClkC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=trap+shooting+hold+points&source=bl&ots=fHqOkY8fdk&sig=fo-ZX3ttZjYF1tmP6Rs2GNg9b-k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b6_0T47fG8mtqAHi8ZzoAw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=trap%20shooting%20hold%20points&f=false

Mark H

11. Joen

Joen Member

I'm also a one eyed shooter with a patch on my left eye,took a one day class from Harlan this spring he's thought that helped me after I got use to it is hold the gun level (high gun)for both 16's & caps but on caps look at (soft focus point) the height were the bird levels out so you do not see or shoot at a strek,and on the corners hold a little lower and outside of the front corners of the house, also make sure your head is up on the stock and not down to far so you lose sight of the bird on the hard angles, so the only differents is my soft focus spot from 16's to Caps

12. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I hold about 40% of the targets height. At the 23 yard line the perceived height of the target is less to me and there is less gun movement involved so I hold just a little lower. I tend to hold lower on the house when shooting from post 1 as instructed by Leo so as not to cover up the target so much. I don't react to the target until it is seen clearly. I also adjust up a little if the targets are rising very fast so I don't have to move the gun as fast.

13. open choke

open choke TS Member

The poor visibility thing makes sense; due to needing more time to see the bird so your shot doesn't get rushed or whatever reason.

I use a lower hold (bead on the top front ledge of the house) so I dont waste anytime seeing the bird.....but I'm a one-eyed shooter

This works good for me b/c I use the same hold for caps. My rule is just dont block the targets path to see it as fast as possible.

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Two dogs is correct, as NONE of the trap houses are out of the ground the same club to club, and trap bank to trap bank what may be on the lid at ine club is 4 feet at another, please keep this in mind! incinerate em!

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

or trap machine is set lower in one house than another and the birds actually come out under the corner of the roof.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

No, I don't shoot 16's or doubles ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Leo, Rick, and Phil hold low. Harlan holds way high. Danny Ryan from KY and Randy Ross hold way high like Harlan and all of those guys are great shooters, I find it differs for me depending on club and conditions I prefer to hold high on singles and lower on HDCP try some different ones and see what works best. Jake

18. open choke

open choke TS Member

It's tough when going to different clubs also cause every trap is different and if the goal is 100 straight "trying" new things can cause lost targets.

Personally by holding at the front edge of the trap house gives me the maximum amount of time to see the target

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I believe Leo says in his video, he looks through his gun, in other words he's looking down below his barrels on either side of his gun to see the target coming out of the house. This may work well for a two eyed shooter but not for one eyed who gives up a wider field of vision as one side of his gun blocking his view.

Most one eyed shooters do best with lower holds, sometimes as low as the bottom of the trap house. A low hold allows the one eyed shooter to come up through the target each and every time. But like the best instructors will tell you, hold points are subjective, what works for one may not for the other.

This is one part of the game you have to figure out for your self.

Surfer

20. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thanks jmac. Martinpicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

holding a high gun when shooting handicap trap

lower hold point for handicap

trap shooting singles vs handicap