1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold Points and 1 Eyed Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DocJim, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

I shoot with one eye because of crossfiring. What sort of hold points are recommended, particularly elevation, in this instance? When I shot with 2 eyes open the gun barrel was about level. Also, when shooting from post 1 it seems to be difficult to pick up and see the left angle bird clearly and I am frequently "late" on this bird. Any suggestions? Thanks. AJ

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

A.J. I have been shooting one-eyed for 25yrs. What helped me was lowering my hold point to under the lip of the house. That way no target leaves the house under your barrel. You will shoot faster because you see the target quicker. I also hold on one and five below the outside corner. You will be surprised how fast you see the target. Hope this helps, Roy

3. 3357

3357 Member

What Roy said.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hold just below the front lip of the house for singles and doubles and about 12 inches lower for handicap (27 yards). I do not understand why, but the lower I hold my gun, the faster I shoot.

Pat Ireland

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pat, I think it is because you see the target much sooner. I discussed this with Britt Robinson and you know how fast he shot. Guess what, he had his barrel low and was a two eyed shooter. The sooner you see the target, the faster you shoot. You are not rushing the shot, you are seeing it quicker. Yes, there is more upward movement of the barrel, but that has to be to move vertically to the POI. Hope this helps, Roy

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm right-handed, right-eye dominant... generally, holding on top of the house to see the birds...

Position 1 - left corner
    Position 2 - 1/4 in
    Position 3 - just right of center
    Position 4 - right corner
    Position 5 - 1 foot off right corner, slightly below house roof

Equally important, I'm adjusting my stance for the swing to the right...

regards to all,

Jay

7. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Roy +2

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

With the low hold, make sure your eyes see high enough over the rib so you aren't tempted to lift your head, especially with high targets. (make sure you're not trying to look through your eyebrows) This year I added a Keen rib (Keensights) to rotate my head upwards. Helps with left angles as well.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Get Frank Little cd he taught one eye shooting works for me. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one eye trap shooter hold points