1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hold point

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Any two eyed shooters hold on top of the house.I get a better look at the target holding on the top.If i hold a high gun i have a problem picking up the target.buy the time i pick it up it is way out there.

2. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I hold about a foot above the house. I tried a higher hold for awhile, but went back to the lower hold because I was not picking up the target as well. I do, however, wait for the target to clear the barrel--that is, when I'm not poking at it out of anticipation.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dan Bonilla's said, "If the target comes from down below, why would you look for it up there"...

4. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Are the HOLD point and the LOOK point supposed to be the same? If so, I've got some retraining to do. I've been holding higher than I'm looking.

Larry

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Larry, that works for some people. looking through the barrel to see the bird come out of the house...

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Hold points are subjective, what works for one won't for another. I shoot with one eye taped so I hold a low sometimes a very low hold point so I can see the target without it being blocked by my barrel or looking across my nose. Some hold high and look down either side of their barrel, this is where an un-gun has an advantange as they have a less restrictive view; the down side with a higher hold, is if you get a target pushed flat, its hard push down to meet the target.

In the recent Kiner clinic I attened, Phil made it a point regarding hold points saying you need to adjust them based on condidtions: lighting, wind, flight, background, where you see the target best and so on. His number one point was look, look!! Look! for that target.

The other interesting thing Phil said, the lower hold point is the shortest route to the target.

Surfer

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hold about 1/2 way from the edge of the trap house to the ground on post 1 and then keep that elevation all the way across. I used to hold higher but after Britt Robinson told me where to hold it. I followed his instructions...it worked...

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have photos on this on my website.

You can download and print them.

Whiz

9. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Once you learn to look thru the barell...nothing else compares imho. There is very little movement of the gun...and smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.