1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold Point

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pitt100, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

I'm a new shooter shooting an 1100 competition w/ a Monte Carlo stock. I just started in the spring and as time goes by I am noticing more and more nuances with this game and my gun. The past several weeks I have been paying attention to on my foot placement and hold points much more. I think I have m y foot placement worked. I am noticing when holding higher than the house on 2,3,4 at a certain hold height the forearm of the gun starts to creep into the picture and block the view of the bird coming out. The width of the forearm is much wider than the barrel. Is this a function of a gun that doesn't fit me properly e.g. too long a LOP? Right now I just hold right above the top of the house instead of more parallel to the ground to compensate. Thanks,

Pitt

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you can shoot with both eyes open then your off shoulder eye will see the target clear the traphouse even though the barrel blocks your on shoulder eye temporarily. Many people shoot with one eye or put a patch of tape on their off shoulder lens to prevent a crossfire and they must hold a lower gun over the traphouse.

3. pitt100

pitt100 TS Member

I shoot with a small dot of tape -smaller than a magic dot- on my left eye so I can shoot with both eyes open. Just wondering if what I am seeing is considered normal or improper fit. At the point of holding parallel the forearm is also blocking where the bird exits not just the barrel. Like I said, the further that I am getting into the sport the more in tune I am getting with my setup/gun and surroundings. I want to get to the point that I know exactly what I need when I step up to my next gun purchase. I want to work out the kinks in the first year or two.

Pitt

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

What you notice with the forearm sounds normal because you have a patch of tape however small on your left lens. We can't tell without more information if your gun truly fits you but so far it sounds OK. I would Not hold any higher than a foot over the traphouse with a tape patch on the left lens. The parallel gun hold only works for true 2 eyed shooters and the advantage is supposed to be less gun movement to the target but there is a sacrifice in visibility of the target. There is nothing wrong with a lower gun hold over the house and you will get used to tracking the target along its flight path instead of trying to Spot shoot it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you shoot using two eyes you can learn to make the forearm disappear and get a good look at the bird coming out of the house. HMB

6. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I'm also relatively new to trap and I shoot the 1100. First thing I did was get help with fitting the gun. After that I watched videos and listened to everyone at the club about hold points, eye positions, chokes, barrel lengths,etc., etc., etc.,. Whew!

What you need to do now (after gun fitting) is work on fundamentals that are right for you and you only. Maybe try holding lower when the targets fly low and higher when the targets fly high. The 1100 shotgun is one of the best trap shooting guns available so don't believe any problem is with the gun. Make your own adjustments for your eyes, hold points and foot position and be comfortable and keep shooting. The one thing that will help the most then is practice.

Main thing is enjoy yourself and don't make big changes just because you have a bad day. Do what's right for you even if you shoot better standing on your head. :). Mark

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

The absolute first thing you need to do is understand what eye is your dominant eye! Nothing more, nothing less.

blade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.