1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold Point Suggestion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    I am NOT an expert by any means. Many TS.com folks have helped be immensely and I'm offering a simple suggestion that has worked well for me. It is a little like Harlan Campbell's approach to mounting the gun, with a slight twist in thinking. This is not my original approach. A shooter at St. Charles offered one suggestions and I added in teh "hinge" part.

After taking the appropriate stance, hold the gun low stock with the tip of the barrel at the chosen hold point - the place where you hold that "soft focus" . Then, IMAGINE a hinge pin horizontally through the end or the barrel. Rotate the stock to the shoulder on that hinge while keeping the "soft focus" point. At no point should you look at the gun or the beads.

I find that repeated practice mounts (100+ per day) are necessary for me to get that muscle memory working.

When I keep my head on the stock and use this mounting technique my scores are much better.

What do you think?

Larry Frieders
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114
  2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    If that's what works for ya, sounds great!

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    The key is repetition, the same way every time. That includes everything you do from the moment you step up to the line, to the moment you fire the last round. It has to be a routine, which lowers the amount of thought process, allowing a higher level of concentration. Jon
  4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    "At no point should you look at the gun or the beads."

I deliberately filed my center bead down to a tiny inconspicuous thing and never use it but my gun fits.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.