1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold point on 27

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Rode the Fed 8s all the way back. Try holding right down on the corner of the house. This will let the hard angle targets come out above your gun and you won't panic and jerk the gun trying to catch up. It does take some lead and smooth gun movement and unless you are shooting a really high gun, get it all the way up to the target path.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Using MIA's first photo, on post 1 at the bottom right hand corner of "2" and on post 5, bottom right hand corner of "4". But then Iam not a "big dog"!

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Email me and I will get you the PowerPoints showing hold position and eye look positions.

I've been on the 27 for 34 years. I didn't do these, but Jim Forsbach of Ohio did. Jim's a good fellow, a long time 27 yarder and teaches shooting techniques for a living.

I NEVER hold for a straight-a-way from posts 1 or 5 EVER. In fact, I NEVER hold of a straight-a-way from any post, ever. Hell, you'd be playing catch-up the whole time. The PowerPoints emphasize this fact.

Whiz White

SDV thanked this.
  4. canada

canada Member

I'm not sure where Whiz White holds, but i'm guessing that never holding for a straight away from 1 and 5 means that he holds outside the trap. In my opinion, NEVER hold outside the trap. You will cut off quarter angles and straight aways, instead of following the flight path. I'm left handed, but i hold on the far right corner on 5, and i hold a bit inside the far left corner on 1. Thats what i would suggest.

Pat

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the same hold points at caps as I do from the 16. But don't listen to me, I am old, diabetic, legally blind without glasses and only on the 25. LOL

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I also use the same hold points that I use for singles but I hold a little lower for handicap. I shoot with one eye and my hold point is on or just below the roof. On one and five, I hold where the most extreme angle leaves the house. I never hold outside of the house.

I have shifted my foot position a little more counter clockwise after realizing that the 50 yard stake marks the center of the target arc from any post. In an excellent class from Leo last week, several mistakes I was making were pointed out but my hold points were not among them.

Pat Ireland

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pat; Did you take the class before or after the 100 straight.

Don

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Because of my eye dominance problem, I like Pat basically shoot with only one eye and my hold points are like Pat's. The only variation is my foot positions in relationship to the targets.

A shooter should prepare for the hardest angle at each station, whereas, the foot/body position placement should be so the shooter can swing to the target in a semi-relaxed manner (from the uncomfortable to the comfortable).

Also, ensure that you shoot a shell that has some target busting properties, use the extra light loads for singles and the 1st shot of doubles!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.