1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOLD POINT FROM THE 22YD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TAIL-1, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAIL-1

TAIL-1 TS Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I have read the handi-cap article in this months Trap@Field and was just looking for a few ideas. I hold on top the house in 16's, right on top the house.I seem to have not found a good hold point from the 22 yd. line.I think, according to the article and if I understand Phill, I should hold a little lower???? Any sound advice will be taken with a big thankyou to my fellow ata members. Tail-1

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

On top of the house is good if you are a one-eyed shooter or use a patch of tape on your off eye lens. A two eyed shooter can and should hold a higher gun. If you already hold down on the house for 16 yard, experiment for Handicap. Phil's article wants you to get the same relative vertical movement for singles and handicap.

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Its sounds to me,,,you are a one-eyed shooter,,and you track the angles????

What Phil does is,,,he promotes "raising" the comb as you move back,,,,so,,the further back you move,,the lower your hold point should be------But---he also means "the higher your gun must shoot"!!!!!

If you are that one-eyed shooter,,,then----all of Phils advice will be of no use to you,,and will just confuse you,,because????? You are also about a 60/40,,70/30 shooter!!! Shooting with Phil and the way he would teach you requires you to shoot with at least 100% high pattern,,and probably more....Which I beleive is a completly differant style than yours......

AKA Grammie............

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Maclellan1911:

I would bet you're doing just the opposite of what you think,,I'll bet you are shooting "under" the targets at where the target "was" when your brain said "shoot"!!! That is unless your gun is set to shoot high and your're riding the targets!!!!! With your hold point,,you should be 70/30,,and holding stacked beads.....

AKA Grammie..........

5. BMC

BMC Member

I think the hold point has a lot of "depends" involved. I haven't noticed much of a need to change my hold point from the 20-22 yard line, I simply shoot them like I'm on the 16. For me any changes in my hold point are determined by which gun I am using and the conditions. The weight of my guns and how me and my brain move it will play a roll in my swing. For my lighter gun I don't change anything, but for my heavier gun I hold a little lower than usual.
    The biggest thing that matters a few yards back from the 16, in my opinion, is the conditions, otherwise I don't think subtle changes in hold points matter as much. If the wind is keeping the targets from rising, I hold much lower than normal, this way my mental swing is fairly the same as in good conditions. If the wind is making the targets rise upwards, then I hold higher than normal, not much, but a little higher.
    As you can see in the above posts, your mileage will vary on topics like this because everyone holds and changes or not, a little different than the next guy.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hold low regardless if it's singles or caps (27). I shoot fairly quickly and when I took Britt Robinson's clinic he told me to hold low based on my eyesight and speed. Get some good instruction from someone who can identify and build on your strong points, not mold you into a clone of themselves. JMHO. Look out for a Britt Robinson clinic if you can.

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Hold so you see the target clearly before you start gun movement. I believe this may depend on the individual shooters perception of the target. No matter what station or distance you shoot, you should see the target before attacking it.
    Robert

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Robert is correct, but he forgot to add that you have to continue to see the target until you shoot.

For me, I hold an inch or so below the front lip of the house for singles and doubles and about 1.5 feet lower for 27 yd. handicap. I swing to the target faster and shoot faster with a lower gun mount. I am not sure why this happens, but it does. I shoot with one eye covered with tape.

Pat Ireland

9. TAIL-1

TAIL-1 TS Member

Thankyou all who helped me with good advice!!!!!! Tail-1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.